9XR "died" after flashing with open9x firmware

All about the Open9x firmware !!

9XR "died" after flashing with open9x firmware

Postby Skypodx » 09 Apr 2013, 19:20

In my attempt to flash my TX today with the "openTX for 9XR with M128chip" (used companion 9x), following error appears, and the screen goes totally blank. Only sign of life is the blue "ready-sign".

=================================================================================
Started AVRDUDE
/usr/local/bin/avrdude -c usbasp -p m128 -U flash:w:/Users/Alexander/Documents/Backup 9XR/opentx-9xr128-en.hex:i
=================================================================================

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9702
avrdude: NOTE: FLASH memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed
To disable this feature, specify the -D option.
avrdude: erasing chip
avrdude: reading input file "/Users/Alexander/Documents/Backup 9XR/opentx-9xr128-en.hex"
avrdude: writing flash (54148 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 32.66s

avrdude: 54148 bytes of flash written
avrdude: verifying flash memory against /Users/Alexander/Documents/Backup 9XR/opentx-9xr128-en.hex:
avrdude: load data flash data from input file /Users/Alexander/Documents/Backup 9XR/opentx-9xr128-en.hex:
avrdude: input file /Users/Alexander/Documents/Backup 9XR/opentx-9xr128-en.hex contains 54148 bytes
avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 27.07s

avrdude: verifying ...
avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x8000
0xf8 != 0xff
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

avrdude done. Thank you.

AVRDUDE done - exit code 1

Ive tried to re-flash it with the original 9XR firmware in "eepe", but the "error 1" appears and "AWRDUDE" did not finish correctly".

Any ideas? Got the AWR programmer from hobbyking.
Skypodx

Re: 9XR "died" after flashing with open9x firmware

Postby The_Flyer » 09 Apr 2013, 23:34

Which version of openTX firmware do you use?

Please take a look at this site!

http://code.google.com/p/opentx/source/list

There are some issues with RAM overflow at ATmega128 ...

So try to get a new and fresh version of openTX (for standard board!) FW and retry to flash your radio!

Myself I use Companion9X to flash my TGY9XR with the newest er9x FW!

If you want the best support and news go to opentxforums.com ...

Good luck :)

P.S. maybe the setup/model data (eepe-contend) is incompatible - so do not restore the eeprom-data - sometimes it helps
The_Flyer

Postby mpjf01 » 10 Apr 2013, 08:45

Have you installed the 128 chip? If not you are using the wrong firmware, use OPENTX for 9XR. Select this and download it with your preferred preferences, then flash the radio.

Any issues, take the above advice and go to the OPENTX forum. Having said that the 128 chip version is only different in a few non-critical areas so either firmware should be able to be flashed to the radio.
Last edited by mpjf01 on 12 Apr 2013, 19:39, edited 1 time in total.
mpjf01

Postby Skypodx » 11 Apr 2013, 22:39

Problem solved!

The solution was to install companion 9x on another PC with windows. I only got it to work with the "openTX for 9XR with M128chip" firmware. Installing firmware trough EEPE are going nowhere (only got avrdude fail), so Im stuck with OpenTX, and happy with it :)
Skypodx

Postby Brace4Impact » 27 Apr 2013, 08:10

Thanks for posting your experience. I encountered the same after initially trying to flash the 9XR firmware using eepe on my Mac. Based on your example, I subsequently followed the PC instructions for epee on an older PC running Vista and was successful. I have a stock 9XR and didn't use the "with 128P chip" firmware version.
Brace4Impact

Postby tiagopadua » 11 May 2013, 12:05

I had the exact same problem.
I couldn't upload the firmware on my mac - I tried with eepe and companion9x.
But on windows with companion9x it went all right.

Thanks for sharing the solution! This post saved me a lot of time!
tiagopadua

Postby DavidSnyder » 02 Jul 2013, 09:08

Having read the thread posted here, I have the same problem as "tiagopadua" (of May 10, 2013) His issue was fixed by loading the firmware via a Windows PC.

I need to flash the 9XR via a Mac. Not a Mac running Windows, but a Mac.

I've tried several combinations of OpenTx with Campanion9x, eePe, and er9x with each of those. My 9Xr is very new and has the m128 chip, I strongly believe, based on the messages I get. I have experience flashing a FrSky with er9x and eePe, on my same Mac, so I wonder what's going on. Perhaps it's solely related to the 128 chip and my software configurations.

Can anyone offer up a sure fire way to flash a 9XR, with a 128 chip, using solely a Mac? I mean a really clear way to proceed.

Thanks greatly. I've been in RC for 25 years, but am just trying out opensource transmitters and software. The FrSky worked fine, hoping to get a 9XR up and running too...
DavidSnyder

Return to [OPEN9X Firmware]