9XR downgrade Tx module

You are addict of Hardware / Electronics / Tuning modifications on your 9XR, this place is for you !

9XR downgrade Tx module

Postby Grenadapult » 19 Mar 2014, 09:41

Ok, so I got my 9XR and absolutely love it. The only problem now, is I have exhausted all my RC hobby budget! Don't get me wrong, I'm not starving myself (out of planes) or anything, I have 4 receivers, but I could really use more than 4, especially with 16 model memories! Now, I have 6 or 7 of my old 72mhz FM JR Rx's lying on the bench, and they aren't even worth trading from what I've seen. To buy new FrSky Rx's would be at least a hundred US Dollars. Now, I bought an FrSky DIY mod several years ago, and installed it and loved it. But I never threw away the original Tx board. How can I make it work on the 9XR. I thought surely, I could attach to the module pins, but it doesn't seem to work, at least not properly. Can anyone help here? If the FrSky diy module worked in its place, shouldn't it be able to work in place of the FrSky plug in module?

I attached..
1- yellow
2- nothing
3- Red
4- Black
5- nothing
Grenadapult

Re: 9XR downgrade Tx module

Postby ShowMaster » 21 Mar 2014, 15:55

I'm a little confused about the 72mjz, then DJT, then DHT DIY all in one statement.
If you're asking about your wiring of the DHT DIY to the 9xr pins, the colors and pin connections look correct.
If this is the case, what's not working.
Can you bind the DIY to your receivers?
The 9x and 9xr have the same module pin wiring.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395388526.763393.jpg
ShowMaster

Postby Grenadapult » 24 Mar 2014, 08:39

Let me try to explain better.

I HAD a 72mhz Tx.
I cut out the Tx and installed the DIY module.
I am now attempting to get the 72mhz transmitter board, to be jury rigged onto the 9XR, and behave like a module.

Does that make sense?
Grenadapult

Postby ShowMaster » 24 Mar 2014, 13:48

1/2 of every antenna system is the counterpoise created by the case and added PC foil on the antenna mounting board area. This area is designed into 72 MHz systems. It also uses this to couple the rf into your hands and body to make the other half of dipole antenna system complete. RF that's AC in nature, can couple through capacitors. The case and internal antenna mounting area is the capacitor into fm tour hands. We're a high % of water and RF likes to use the surface area to travel.
So... The small wires in your module aren't enough surface area to be an effective confute for the RF. DC voltage, yes. I'm assuming you're planning on mounting the antenna on the module or the back of the 9XR case. Not technically efficient because the 9XR was designed for 2.4g and the surface area of the module circuit board is sufficient to be a counterpoise (rf grounding) system. What all this means is if the antenna system isn't correct, the radiation pattern can be messy, the rf may not radiate at its normal power level, or radiate into the tx and CPU during trying to make an antenna system.
The best setup is the original 9x with opentx of er9x FW. It was designed as a 35/82 MHz system and band aided to be a 2.4g system.
If you plan to use a jr 72 MHz rf board you'll also need +6 volts besides 9v.

For $54 I'd buy a tr-9x or a used one, and use it with flashed FW, not a 9xr.
It should be simple to add back the missing 72mhz antenna parts.
SM
ShowMaster

Return to 9XR Mods