9XR Software in a 9x

You need flash your Turnigy 9XR with the stock firmware ? So this thread is for you !
Find our last release for the 9XR firmware !!!!

Re: 9XR Software in a 9x

Postby Dvogonen » 30 Dec 2012, 03:37

There have been a lot of discussions of exactly which changes to er9x that have been made by HobbyKing.

I have created a Google Code repository and populated it with er9x r762
I then committed the code from HobbyKing over it, so that all differences can be viewed online.
Here is the link:

http://code.google.com/p/tgy9x/
Dvogonen

Postby mpjf01 » 30 Dec 2012, 09:20

Kilrah wrote:Of course. But then why bother going through the code to fix all the bugs and lose time when it's already been done in er9x? Is the separate reverse screen (i.e. the only real difference) that valuable to justify maintaining a separate source set?

It will be interesting to see how things pan out. Will HK be making changes to "their" version over the long term or will they decide to rely on the current non-HK developers?

It will also be interesting to see how the firmware is accepted by the wider user community. I have read elsewhere that it has been estimated that more than 90% of 9X purchasers have stayed with the stock firmware. There will be many reasons for this, some of which, particularly mods needed for flashing, have been removed in the later model. However, if a fair proportion of 9XR users also have 9Xs or other radios then they will not be familiar with the the very different processes that are needed to be understood to program the new radio. It is possible, I fear, that HK will be pressured by purchasers who have use difficulties into altering the UI paradigm to bring it closer to that of the 9X (eg more menu based pre-built functionality rather than user generated mixer based) and there will then be a completely different version of the firmware.

In the current UI paradigm there's little left to do I suspect. Maybe a few cosmetic changes that seem to the developers to be a good idea, or which may be just matters of opinion (such as the HK reverse screen) but the functionality for just about everything possible (at least for aircraft) is already there.

The next step that I would like to see is new hardware with additional features that can be exploited by firmware such as more 3 position switches, sliders, larger screen, more capable processors and so on.
mpjf01

Postby JakeStew » 30 Dec 2012, 18:08

I'd stick with er9x. If there's anything worth adding from the stock firmware it will certainly be merged back into the er9x code.

That's the beauty of letting some company profit from your source code... any advances they make are easy to merge back into your project. From what I understand they used a rather old version of er9x to base the stock firmware on, so I'd suggest loading the latest er9x.
JakeStew

Postby Romolo » 31 Dec 2012, 09:33

BTW, neither companion9x, nor current version of eepe at the moment support 9xr firmware, as the eeprom structure has been changed.
So unless HK forks also a version of eepe computer programming support is not existent.
Romolo

Postby mpjf01 » 31 Dec 2012, 12:03

Does HK provide for any way to load/reload their version of the firmware?
mpjf01

Postby Ramnes » 31 Dec 2012, 20:28

Remember guys, er9x or other software wouldnt exist if it wasnt for the original radio and all the clones like 9x from TGY. Icant see any issues with HK making a new radio which can use the already existing code from 9x, and in a few weeks we also will see an eepe etc that works with it. On theire new website they states very clair what sort of radio this is

"Community designed software built by the people that knows RC best, You!"

I've installed the code on my TGY 9x and i'm ready to try it out as soon as the winterspringautumn like weather stops pooring water down as water or snow.

So i beleive i do the test next year.

Happy new year to all!

J
Ramnes

Postby Wimh » 31 Dec 2012, 20:39

mpjf01 wrote:Does HK provide for any way to load/reload their version of the firmware?

Not really, unless you're prepared to do some soldering on the 9X or buy a smartieparts board for it... The software does run on the 9X.
Wimh

Postby Kilrah » 31 Dec 2012, 23:53

mpjf01 wrote:Does HK provide for any way to load/reload their version of the firmware?

Well it's for download up here, so yes...
Kilrah

Re: Sv: 9XR Software in a 9x

Postby Dvogonen » 01 Jan 2013, 00:16

Ramnes wrote:Remember guys, er9x or other software wouldnt exist if it wasnt for the original radio and all the clones like 9x from TGY. Icant see any issues with HK making a new radio which can use the already existing code from 9x, and in a few weeks we also will see an eepe etc that works with it.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. Romolo, who just made the comment that there will be no support for the data format in eepe or companion9x, is the maintainer of companion9x.
If he doesn't want it, it will not happen. At least not in companion9x.
Dvogonen

Postby JakeStew » 01 Jan 2013, 04:09

I think you guys are looking at things wrong. The stock firmware is never going to compete with er9x, and I don't think they are even going to try.

It's just there for people that don't want to bother with loading firmware. If they actually wanted to get into making good firmware for the 9X they could have done this years ago and just loaded it at the factory. The fact that they created a new version with a programming plug shows that they're expecting people to load er9x or another firmware.

Providing software support is a huge headache. They're not going to get involved with all that. Any bugs or problems and they're most likely going to point you to er9x and tell you to get your support from their forum. That's a lot easier than trying to solve everybody's problems.

If you like something from the stock firmware just put in a feature request at er9x. Most likely there won't be any missing features as soon as they have time to look over the stock code and merge it back into the main er9x branch.
JakeStew

Postby crucial » 01 Jan 2013, 08:50

Did anyone else notice the big warning about voiding your warranty if you flash anything on the radio without specific instructions to do so by someone at [email protected]?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attachme ... id=5409323
crucial

Postby mpjf01 » 01 Jan 2013, 09:55

Kilrah wrote:

Well it's for download up here, so yes...

Well the way I load ER9X and OPEN9X is using eepe/C9X. The author of the latter says neither will work on the 9XR. So given HK does provide something equivalent to eepe/C9X that does work, what/where is it please, as I have looked for it unsuccessfully.
mpjf01

Postby crucial » 01 Jan 2013, 10:02

You can use eepe to upload/download firmware to the 9xr but you won't be able to load the models and such from the eeprom.
crucial

Postby mpjf01 » 01 Jan 2013, 10:10

OK- So the way I understand your comment is that I can use eepe to download the HK suplied firmware to the Tx but not to create/modify model data which must be done at the Tx. Can I still load Open9x using C9x as with my 9x?
mpjf01

Postby ccpetersen » 01 Jan 2013, 10:23

Yes,

You might be interested to know that Companion9x/eepe use a program called avrdude to do all the transfers in and out of cpu flash and eeprom memory. They can't do any transfers by themselves. Avrdude doesn't care whose hex file your downloading or uploading so you can use it for program or model data. The downside is its a command line program and doesn't provide any way for you to edit the memory once it's in your pc. It just does the transfer. It can be used to save 9xr eeprom model data without using eepe or companion9x.
ccpetersen

Postby mpjf01 » 01 Jan 2013, 12:21

crucial wrote:Did anyone else notice the big warning about voiding your warranty if you flash anything on the radio without specific instructions to do so by someone at [email protected]?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attachme ... id=5409323

Voiding a HK warranty? Gee that's a worry! :o
mpjf01

Postby mapes12 » 01 Jan 2013, 18:34

ccpetersen wrote:The downside is its a command line program
I haven't tried it but I found this:-

http://sourceforge.net/projects/avrdude-gui/

CL is fine if you have half a clue where to start. I'll have a look at the MAN at some point to see if I can figure it out. Mark
mapes12

Postby mpjf01 » 02 Jan 2013, 06:30

ccpetersen wrote:Yes,

You might be interested to know that Companion9x/eepe use a program called avrdude to do all the transfers in and out of cpu flash and eeprom memory. They can't do any transfers by themselves. Avrdude doesn't care whose hex file your downloading or uploading so you can use it for program or model data. The downside is its a command line program and doesn't provide any way for you to edit the memory once it's in your pc. It just does the transfer. It can be used to save 9xr eeprom model data without using eepe or companion9x.

Thanks for that. I have decided that I will continue to use OPEN9x so I won't need to flash the stock firmware.
mpjf01

Postby RoninTech » 02 Jan 2013, 08:59

ccpetersen wrote:The fix is also trival: Change in menus.cpp
Code: Select all
void DisplayScreenIndex(uint8_t index, uint8_t count, uint8_t attr)
{
    uint8_t x ;
    lcd_outdezAtt(127,0,count,attr);
                x = 1+128-FW*(count>9 ? 3 : 2) ;
    lcd_putcAtt(x,0,'/',attr);
    lcd_outdezAtt(x-1,0,index+1,attr);
}

Love open source stuff like this! This code is...magical! :geek:
RoninTech

Postby Romolo » 02 Jan 2013, 09:01

Dvogonen wrote:
Ramnes wrote:Remember guys, er9x or other software wouldnt exist if it wasnt for the original radio and all the clones like 9x from TGY. Icant see any issues with HK making a new radio which can use the already existing code from 9x, and in a few weeks we also will see an eepe etc that works with it.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. Romolo, who just made the comment that there will be no support for the data format in eepe or companion9x, is the maintainer of companion9x.
If he doesn't want it, it will not happen. At least not in companion9x.

No, please don't misunderstand, this is not a boycott nor a problem of wanting or not...
but: supporting 9xr firmware is duplicating support for an outdated er9x; actually companion and eepe will save with latest version number for er9x (v10) and with full data structure of actual v10.
Mike in the latest version of er9x added some stuff at the end of the structure; probably being at the end additional data will make no difference, and now probably eepe works. In the future er9x may will change more, and you cannot be sure there will be no data corruptions using eepe or companion9x in a no longer supported eeprom type

Even now companion9x does not fully supports er9x and is more intended to convert from er9x to open9x than to deal with er9x.
Romolo

Postby JakeStew » 02 Jan 2013, 17:07

crucial wrote:Did anyone else notice the big warning about voiding your warranty if you flash anything on the radio without specific instructions to do so by someone at [email protected]?

It's not legal to limit your warranty like that here in the US. Selling to US customers means that US laws apply to the warranty.

Auto makers tried this a few times with forcing people to use their service and products, but courts have ruled this is an illegal warranty limitation.

There's no law against putting a bunch of bogus (not legal) limitations in your warranty though and hoping that people won't insist on their rights.
JakeStew

Postby Dvogonen » 02 Jan 2013, 18:22

JakeStew wrote:It's not legal to limit your warranty like that here in the US. Selling to US customers means that US laws apply to the warranty.

I am afraid that it does not. US law has no jurisdiction outside of the US and there are no agreements between China and USA regarding consumer rights. HobbyKing is a company based in Hongkong. The US legal system can not touch them and I can not imagine that you will be able to convince the Chinese authorities to help you either.

If you import goods on your own, you really are on your own.
Dvogonen

Postby Kilrah » 02 Jan 2013, 19:33

Romolo wrote:and now probably eepe works.

I have done a little test, the current version of eePe can read and write and it results in a working eeprom (no eeprom error). BUT, if you use the settings that have evolved since the HK fork (notably custom switches and safety switches) it will corrupt things. I set up a custom switch in eePe, wrote to the radio, and had an out of bounds value in the first field (some bit of random string displaying).
Kilrah

Postby Ross_HK » 02 Jan 2013, 22:04

This thread is 9XR software in a 9X.......

Not US consumer law debate 101 :lol:

Please stick to the topic.
Ross_HK
HK Staff

Postby Ramnes » 02 Jan 2013, 22:22

The American government cant fine a company that have no office in the US anything, but they can as all other countries do, put an extra fee for all products from that company until they again follow American/international rules.

Btw.
This is not what this thread is about.

J
Ramnes

PreviousNext

Return to [Official Firmware]