9XR Software in a 9x

You need flash your Turnigy 9XR with the stock firmware ? So this thread is for you !
Find our last release for the 9XR firmware !!!!

9XR Software in a 9x

Postby ccpetersen » 29 Dec 2012, 08:50

I did build of the 9XR software version and loaded it into a 9x. I'm surprised at the number of changes in menu.cpp. Pretty extensive with most of it well thought out. Keeping things postive I can say it's nice to have a manual that matches the software. :D
ccpetersen

Re: 9XR Software in a 9x

Postby mapes12 » 29 Dec 2012, 19:12

Is there a link to a tutorial anywhere to show how you did this?
mapes12

Postby Ramnes » 29 Dec 2012, 19:38

ccpetersen wrote:I did build of the 9XR software version and loaded it into a 9x. I'm surprised at the number of changes in menu.cpp. Pretty extensive with most of it well thought out. Keeping things postive I can say it's nice to have a manual that matches the software. :D

Please make a tutotial for what you did.

J
Ramnes

Postby Kilrah » 29 Dec 2012, 20:54

Just take the .hex that's in the provided download and flash it the same way as usual.
Kilrah

Postby Wimh » 29 Dec 2012, 21:36

Ahh, it's not THAT simple. The original 9X can only be flashed after doing some hardware mods, the easiest way to do that is using the smartieparts board. This does tell us you could use the old original "Turnigy" software from the 9X on the 9XR as well, without any mods. Also that the processor is indeed the same 64 and not the more capable 128 some were wishing for...
Wimh

Postby ccpetersen » 29 Dec 2012, 22:09

Since the 9XR software is obviously a fork er9x and with little possibility of going back considering the numerous changes in the code, it's a shame HK didn't take the time to change the name. It doesn't take long to search and replace er9x with 9XD.

If HK were really clever they would put the code in a similar software repository so some of us could help step on a few bugs. They've done a good job with the forked code so why not let the community help out?

Anyone from HK want to comment?
ccpetersen

Postby jhsa » 29 Dec 2012, 22:49

ccpetersen wrote:If HK were really clever they would put the code in a similar software repository so some of us could help step on a few bugs. They've done a good job with the forked code so why not let the community help out?

What a good idea, even if they DIDN'T make that many changes to the er9x firmware.. A servo reverse menu, splashscreen and edited some templates. I wouldn't call that making "numerous" changes.. :mrgreen:
jhsa

Postby ccpetersen » 29 Dec 2012, 22:54

You might actually look at the code before you diss the work HK did. Do a diff of menu.cpp, for example, and you will see numerous changes; even some bugs stepped on.
ccpetersen

Postby Ramnes » 29 Dec 2012, 23:24

ccpetersen wrote:Since the 9XR software is obviously a fork er9x and with little possibility of going back considering the numerous changes in the code, it's a shame HK didn't take the time to change the name. It doesn't take long to search and replace er9x with 9XD.

If HK were really clever they would put the code in a similar software repository so some of us could help step on a few bugs. They've done a good job with the forked code so why not let the community help out?

ccpetersen
"numerous changes in the code" ? i did not see any changes in the file i downloaded from this forum, can you point me to the right er9x.hex file? The one i have is from 15.05.2012 and is DL'd from here: http://turnigy9xr.com/source/tgy-9XRv1-1.rar

J
Ramnes

Postby ccpetersen » 29 Dec 2012, 23:34

I'm not sure what you mean by changes in the hex file. Binary compare of the hex files?

If you want to see some of the differences between the software you downloaded from the 9XR forum and the er9x source tree use a program like "Meld" and compare individual files from the two source trees.
ccpetersen

Postby Ramnes » 29 Dec 2012, 23:40

ccpetersen wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by changes in the hex file. Binary compare of the hex files?

If you want to see some of the differences between the software you downloaded from the 9XR forum and the er9x source tree use a program like "Meld" and compare individual files from the two source trees.

Hi again
I flashed the fw to my TGY 9X and everything was the same. I found a .hex file in the ...src directory of the .zip file and flashed that to it, and i can see a few changes and try it out.

J
Ramnes

Postby jhsa » 29 Dec 2012, 23:49

Version 762 of the er9x firmware was quite buggy, hence it was only valid for about 4 days..
Obvious bugs were left on the code and not repaired. have a look at the screenshots on the 9XR product page..
the calibration menu for example.. first line continues into the second line.. it makes the last line go out of the screen. there is at least one other screenshot where this is more obvious..
I suggest downloading and installing eepe

http://code.google.com/p/eepe/

and configure it to get the latest version of the firmware (er9x).. when a new version is available it will ask if you want to download it. Also you can use it to flash it to the tx.
You can use eepe to program your models or change radio configurations on your computer. Click "simulate" to test your creations and when you're happy with it, flash the eeprom back to your radio. then you can just fine tune it.
You can also use it to get more familiar to the firmware, experimenting new mixing configurations without messing with the actual programming in your radio.
You can find all the information about er9x and eepe here

http://9xforums.com/forum/

Just trying to help you guys to get the most from your radio.. with the right tools it will be a very good tx, as is the 9x
Last edited by jhsa on 30 Dec 2012, 00:22, edited 1 time in total.
jhsa

Postby Romolo » 30 Dec 2012, 00:00

Or try open9x, on stock radio it gives you flight phases, differentials, global vars and more.
Get companion9x, select open9x for stock radio and configure the options you like.
companion9x is here: http://code.google.com/p/companion9x/

Here you can find a nice introduction to companion9x: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKqvipNEZJs

Support for the firmware and companion9x may be found on http://9xforums.com
Romolo

Postby ccpetersen » 30 Dec 2012, 00:18

I would agree with Romolo. Open9x is the best it gets currently for 9x/9xr radios.

Stepping back back I'm wondering why a new entry into the 9x software domain is initially treated with such distain. Everyone talks the talk when referring to open source firmware but when someone actually does a fork we hear "they're idiots" "they didn't change anything" "their code is buggy",etc. I for one think it's great that we all have another choice when it comes to programming our radios. Embrace the diversity and use what you like the best but don't diss everyone else because they're choice is not the same as yours.

The 9XR people are new to this effort so give them a chance and see what they come up with.
ccpetersen

Postby jhsa » 30 Dec 2012, 00:25

I never said the 9XR was buggy.
I said the er9x 762 was buggy and HK used it as a base to their own code.. they could have chosen a better version..
jhsa

Postby Romolo » 30 Dec 2012, 00:34

I agree, they need a chance, but, compared to er9x, there are not so differences in my opinion, at least looking to the code, reverses have their tab (maybe more intuitive), but the main problem is not in the firmware but in the hw.
ATMEGA 64 is really limited to add something more, especially if you look at telemetry.
Furthermore the radio had the opportunity to undergo to different channel mapping making easier telemetry additions too at practically no cost.
I really wonder why they didn't contacted old devels for getting an opinion.
Maybe they will come out with a 9XR-II

I agree with jhsa, r762 of er9x has bugs, Mike corrected them in successive revision, if the provided one is the actual source tree, patches have still not been ported to 9xr
Romolo

Postby Dvogonen » 30 Dec 2012, 00:37

Surely no one is calling them idiots.
But they have not really created a fork. They have added what they saw as necessary to make er9x streamlined enough for their radio; a logo and easy channel reversing. As long as they post the code and keep the credits for the origin, they have every right to do so. Power to them.
I do not think they have any intention of continuing the development of their own code tree and currently the obvious upgrade for buggfixes etc.is er9x.
Dvogonen

Postby Ramnes » 30 Dec 2012, 00:48

Dvogonen wrote:Surely no one is calling them idiots.
But they have not really created a fork. They have added what they saw as necessary to make er9x streamlined enough for their radio; a logo and easy channel reversing. As long as they post the code and keep the credits for the origin, they have every right to do so. Power to them.
I do not think they have any intention of continuing the development of their own code tree and currently the obvious upgrade for buggfixes etc.is er9x.

Hi
They also states that on the new site for this radio, "Community designed software built by the people that knows RC best, You!"
It's open source, they make the hardware and we the "people" make it work. The same as for APM 2.5 original and now all the other open source boards like Arduflyer APM 2.5 etc.

I installed the 9XR .hex file from the ...src directory of the .zip file, and it looks good so far on my 9x. I'll try more later. BTW. I cant see any lines going down to the next line. It's dated 27.12.2012

J
Ramnes

Postby Romolo » 30 Dec 2012, 01:08

Have a look to this screenshot...
9xrbug.png
9xrbug.png (118.62 KiB) Viewed 8039 times
Romolo

Postby Ramnes » 30 Dec 2012, 01:53

Romolo wrote:Have a look to this screenshot...
9xrbug.png

Romolo
If thats all, i can live with it:-)

J
Ramnes

Postby ccpetersen » 30 Dec 2012, 02:00

The fix is also trival: Change in menus.cpp
Code: Select all
void DisplayScreenIndex(uint8_t index, uint8_t count, uint8_t attr)
{
    uint8_t x ;
    lcd_outdezAtt(127,0,count,attr);
                x = 1+128-FW*(count>9 ? 3 : 2) ;
    lcd_putcAtt(x,0,'/',attr);
    lcd_outdezAtt(x-1,0,index+1,attr);
}
ccpetersen

Postby Romolo » 30 Dec 2012, 02:02

Maybe you are right... but there are also some other much more serious...
http://code.google.com/p/er9x/source/detail?r=771
Romolo

Postby tomtechy » 30 Dec 2012, 02:20

I am not sure of the ver # for 9xr since they removed that screen but on quick review there are many bugs in the template menu all templates are in the simple six chanel format with thr ail ele rud gear flaps the only channel setting order all other are not working. Add a delta and you get a 6 channel delta add thr hold to your delta and you lose the delta and get a simple 6 channel no delta same for v tail add thr hold lose v tail and get simple 6 channel. Try it on the 9x and see the file is listed in the down load directory 9xr\src\er9x.hex
tomtechy

Postby ccpetersen » 30 Dec 2012, 02:30

Romolo wrote:Maybe you are right... but there are also some other much more serious...
http://code.google.com/p/er9x/source/detail?r=771

I'm sure you're right, there are more bugs. Doesn't mean they can't be fixed as easily as that display glitch. Your link points to the bugs yes, but also to the fixes.
ccpetersen

Postby Kilrah » 30 Dec 2012, 03:33

ccpetersen wrote: Doesn't mean they can't be fixed as easily as that display glitch.

Of course. But then why bother going through the code to fix all the bugs and lose time when it's already been done in er9x? Is the separate reverse screen (i.e. the only real difference) that valuable to justify maintaining a separate source set?
Kilrah

Next

Return to [Official Firmware]