9XR Trainer port inop

Ask for support here, and get answer by the community !

9XR Trainer port inop

Postby Smacdonald » 06 Dec 2013, 22:05

I have a new 9XR with default firmware and an Orange DSM TX module. I have followed the instructions in other posts on this site but I'm unable to get other radios to act as slaves or to drive the values in the 2/5 Trainer Cal menu. I've connected the 9XR to the slave (power switch off) with a mono cable. I've configured the 4 channels in the Trainer menu to :=, 100%, CH4 - CH4 and TRN. I've enabled trainer on the 2/11 menu. The master functions as expected. The trainer switch does highlight the TRN field on the main screen and the all channels on the receiver go to mid-point when switched. I've tried with a DX7 and a 4 channel JR as slaves. Any hel would be greatly appreciated!
Smacdonald

Re: Sv: 9XR Trainer port inop

Postby Dvogonen » 07 Dec 2013, 09:40

You seem to have done everything you are supposed to do. But it is a bit unclear on which radio you have done what.

The first step is to establish that you have input from the radio you are going to use as a buddy box into your 9xr.
The 9xr should be turned on. Then you plug in the wire in the 9xr.
The other radio should be turned off. Now you plug that one in.
Now go to the trainer setup page of the 9xr. There are numbers down on the bottom of the screen. They should change as you move the sticks of the buddy box. If they do not you either have no PPM signal in the lead or have not enabled the trainer function in the 9xr menu.

If this does not work there are multiple things that could be wrong. The buddy might not be compatible (highly unlikely), the buddy may have a broken trainer contact, the cable may be broken or not fit properly. Your 9xr may have a broken contact etc, etc.
Dvogonen

Re: 9XR Trainer port inop

Postby Smacdonald » 08 Dec 2013, 14:24

I followed your sequence to the "T" and I still don't get any response to the joystick commands on the buddy box. I double checked that the trainer is enabled in the plane setup. I've tried with two S400 JR radios and a Spectrum DX-7. I do get a one-time change in the trainer calibration numbers as I plug in the buddy box but no response to the joysticks. I tried two different mono jack buddy cables with no success. I am able to use the S400 radios as buddy slaves on the DX-7. That leaves me with a couple possibilities: 1) I still have something wrong with the configuration; 2) There is a problem with the 9xr. Is there any configuration necessary to describe the buddy box format? Is there anything else I might be missing? I've seen posts about a 1k resistor in the 9x, does that fix apply to the 9XR?
Smacdonald

Re: 9XR Trainer port inop

Postby Smacdonald » 08 Dec 2013, 21:21

I was able to use the 9XR as a slave on the DX-7 so it looks like I most likely have a problem with configuration.
Smacdonald

Re: Sv: 9XR Trainer port inop

Postby Dvogonen » 09 Dec 2013, 03:02

The resistor fix solves a problem with the FlySky radio module (the default radio module in a Turnigy 9x). The trainer functionality does not work if you leave an unmodified FlySky module in the slave radio. By putting a small resistor on the signal line the problem is eliminated. It is better to fix the problem in the module than in the radio, since no other modules are known to cause this problem. But I assume that you are not using a FlySky radio module, so this is not your problem.

I must confess that I am out of clues to what might be wrong with your setup. You seem to be doing everything right.

I use openTX, which is similar, but not identical to the er9x version you use. I might be missing something. I think that www.openrcforums.com is your best bet.
Dvogonen

Return to Community Help & Support