9XR won't fully power up

Ask for support here, and get answer by the community !

Re: 9XR won't fully power up

Postby almarco » 12 Mar 2013, 07:20

Atmel VCC:

5V Reg:

almarco

Postby archilleselbow » 26 Apr 2013, 17:01

Hi guys...
i have a similar problem...
stock 9xr turned on once.. changed a model name... turned off..

turned on the next morning and only the blue ready light comes on....
lcd screen does not up nor is there any beeps from any buttons...

has anyone had this problem wiht a stock 9xr, and was it solved by flashing?
archilleselbow

Postby coltstrgj » 28 Jul 2013, 15:53

I seem to have a problem with mine as well. When the power button is up the blue light for the LCD turns on, but there is never any text or a beep or anything similar. Just blue. If I wait for a second and then hit the menu button I can hear something happen in the module and the it beeps and a few seconds later the blue light turns off. I can turn it back on by hitting menu or exit; however, there is still no text or anything. Should I RMA it or is this an easily solved problem. This is right out of the box and with two different new batteries so I don't know what is going on. Any suggestions?
coltstrgj

Postby ShowMaster » 29 Jul 2013, 12:16

Sorry you guys,

If you have beeps and the BL turns on and off with button pushing the CPU and program is working. It could be a LCD cable not mating in the connector but?
Check the contrast setting. I think if you shine a light on the screen you may be able to see the menu on radio page 1.

If there are no beeps it could be a FW issue and flashing the latest er9x FW may fix it if its a FW issue from HK.
Their FW is quite old.
The radio runs on 5 volts so if your battery has 6v or more the radio should turn on and display even with a low battery.
ShowMaster

Postby coltstrgj » 30 Jul 2013, 06:09

I think that you might be correct about the contrast. I can not see the text at all, so would anyone be kind enough to instruct me step by step how to change it. Thank you.
coltstrgj

Postby ShowMaster » 30 Jul 2013, 07:23

The contrast should be on the first radio setup page, a light left push if the cross buttons. Then down pushes from there. You should hopefully see some text if you shine a bright flashlight on the display. I'm not at home so I can't try it. Maybe someone with your FW will comment on weather they can see the display at all with the contrast down.
Flashing a new FW should have a contrast coded in it to look normal.
That may be something to try.
ShowMaster

Postby rafaelstorres » 24 Sep 2013, 21:44

Guys, recently bought 9xr, never turned on, even a led, nothing. I measured the 5v in the reg, nothing in there, just dead, but I can see the 12v going thought everything. I got a bad board? If so, which one? Need to buy an spare...
rafaelstorres

Postby ShowMaster » 29 Sep 2013, 00:01

Push on all the internal board connectors and try again,
If your ok with a volt meter you should read tx battery voltage gong to the 5v board regulator. There is also 1 or 2 fuse devices on the module board. It's posts able one is blown. I don't have mine apart to tell you more but there may be others with pictures or more info.
The idea here is seeing tx voltage conning out of the tx switch when on and then seeing it at the input of the 7805 SMD regulator on the main board. If it's missing it's probably a back plane board or connector issue.
ShowMaster

Postby rafaelstorres » 29 Sep 2013, 12:18

ShowMaster wrote:Push on all the internal board connectors and try again,
If your ok with a volt meter you should read tx battery voltage gong to the 5v board regulator. There is also 1 or 2 fuse devices on the module board. It's posts able one is blown. I don't have mine apart to tell you more but there may be others with pictures or more info.
The idea here is seeing tx voltage conning out of the tx switch when on and then seeing it at the input of the 7805 SMD regulator on the main board. If it's missing it's probably a back plane board or connector issue.

I pushed them all, all look fine in there, no loose wires and not loose connectors.
I tracked the 12v to the POWER ON switch and there are 12v passing trough it, so the turn on switch are ok.
There are 1 fuse in the radio and that is OK, tested aready with a multimeter, and did an visual inspection also.
About the voltage reg (5V) coming from the atmel processor, that is just dead, in both cases, with switch ON and OFF. I know I should only get readings with the switch on.
Now, what do you mean by "back plane board" issue? what is that? Is this the board which the atmel processor is located? If so, its worth buying it or the entire radio?
rafaelstorres

Postby ShowMaster » 29 Sep 2013, 15:43

The back plane board is the on the module plugs into.
The next important question I'm not sure was answered is do you have 12v into the 5v regulator on home CPU board but no 5 v out of the regulator going to the processor?
Pin 21 and 52 of the m238 I think you have on your board should have 5v on them.
HK hasn't released schematics but the CPU needs 5v.
As for a new board. If all else fails it looks like a new electronics board set is only $7-8. It should fix it.
If it was DOA I'd challenge HK and PayPal to refund your money or send a new 9XR.
Usually you get a refund and maybe keep the radio.
ShowMaster

Postby rafaelstorres » 01 Oct 2013, 11:26

ShowMaster wrote:The back plane board is the on the module plugs into.
The next important question I'm not sure was answered is do you have 12v into the 5v regulator on home CPU board but no 5 v out of the regulator going to the processor?
Pin 21 and 52 of the m238 I think you have on your board should have 5v on them.
HK hasn't released schematics but the CPU needs 5v.
As for a new board. If all else fails it looks like a new electronics board set is only $7-8. It should fix it.
If it was DOA I'd challenge HK and PayPal to refund your money or send a new 9XR.
Usually you get a refund and maybe keep the radio.

Lord! I fixed! Expend lot of hours today to split completely the radio, I after not find anything bad I tracked down from the voltage reg back up to the battery. Don't know why but one of the wires coming from the main board, didn't delivery 12v to the regulator. I did a jumper cable and soldered in the main board. Everything are working great now. Can't belive I did, was about to give up.
Thanks for all the inspiration guys in this forum. Helped not just to solve my problem, but improving my electronics skills a little more.
rafaelstorres

Postby ShowMaster » 02 Oct 2013, 13:47

Good work!
ShowMaster

Previous

Return to Community Help & Support