CONVERTING 9XR TO FRSKY TELEMETRY (DJT MODULE)

433 Mhz/1.2Ghz/2.4 Ghz/5.8 Ghz Modules, JR / Futaba, Telemetry . OrangeRX, FrSky, Spectrum, Assan, ......

Compatibility, setup, features, all the questions about that, ask here !

Re: CONVERTING 9XR TO FRSKY TELEMETRY (DJT MODULE)

Postby ShowMaster » 20 Jan 2013, 02:31

Why not just go with the Frsky DJT and fld-02 for now and yes, later buy a real Frsky tx designed with input from the users and programmers that were actually asked!
The 9XR could have been such a great radio for maybe $65. Now it's an ok $50 one I guess.
The Frsky may be a lot more but Italy offer a lot more, we hope.
SM
ShowMaster

Postby mpjf01 » 20 Jan 2013, 10:54

kaivalagi wrote:is anything else worth knowing about too?

Rewire 9XR for same screen telemetry use
+ One screen for everything (might be considered a -ve)
+ Less clutter, no loose wires either
+ Lower cost (?)
+ Per model telemetry setup (?)

Use FrSky FDL-02 telemetry screen
+ Telemetry on a separate screen keeping the other screen free for transmitter info
+ Better placement of information for when flying
+ Simpler solution and no lengthy process to go through
+ Re-use for another transmitter is possible
+ Doesn't use additional EPROM memory for added code as it's is separate (?)

There is another option. If you want your telemetry on a separate screen and you want to hear alarms and alerts or if the mods to the 9x or 9xr are maybe a bit complex, there is an Android app (and I think a PC version) called FRS Logger, see the Android store, available that uses bluetooth to transfer the FRSKY telemetry data from the TX (module or DIY) to an android device. All of the telemetry data can be displayed on your phone or tablet and you can set alarms for any of them that will be activated when any of the parameters you set are met. Supports multiple models with separate alarm values for each. The data can also be logged and displayed later.

You need to buy the app (<$5) and a bluetooth device to make this work. The BT thingo sits inside your radio and is connected to the telemetry pins on the FRSKY RF module. Available on EBay for less than $10 including postage. Depending on the module you buy you may also need a RS232-TTL converter, another $1.

Full details, including how to make it work, link to manual etc are available http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1666762.
Last edited by mpjf01 on 17 Feb 2013, 07:55, edited 1 time in total.
mpjf01

Postby kaivalagi » 20 Jan 2013, 11:10

Thanks, that's good to know...I'll bear that in mind!
kaivalagi

Postby jhsa » 21 Jan 2013, 00:07

kaivalagi wrote:I can appreciate the hard work gone into this so please don't take this the wrong way, but I am struggling to understand why you would go to so much trouble for this mod when having a separate screen high up would arguably be functionality better, and a lot lot easier to achieve?

There is one big advantage..
You can have per model alarm configurations, which you can't do with a separate screen.
Imagine that you fly some models with 2s batteries and some others with 3s batteries..
With the separate screen you will have to change the alarm settings everytime you change models. And I'm only talking about voltage here, and not all the other telemetry alarms that models might use..
er9x/open9x can deal with the alarms for every single model.
I guess this is a good reason to have on screen telemetry, right? ;)
jhsa

Postby rob.thomson » 21 Jan 2013, 03:27

And of course... You can actually use telemetry feedback to influence a mix.

Scenario... You have a speed sensor in your model. The faster you fly, the less sensitive your surfaces move.

Scenario... You fly height restricted glider competitions. At 200m altitude, your motor magically turns off on its own.

Plenty other options :-)
rob.thomson

Postby LexiconA5 » 26 Jan 2013, 20:17

Hi Zeeland

Thanks for showing how to do this mod,
There is mentioned in this forum that the rx also needs to be connected for extra setting
is it possible to show this with some images?

Thanks
LexiconA5

Postby juraj.jurej » 13 Feb 2013, 21:09

Well, I understand that when recording Open 9X FrSky module must be selected out of the radio? if not what happens?
juraj.jurej

Postby dinislam1395 » 13 Feb 2013, 21:41

Its best you do it that way (take the module out when flashing) but I did leave the module in by mistake and flashed the 9xr but fortunately nothing bad happened.
dinislam1395

Postby juraj.jurej » 14 Feb 2013, 01:05

After this hardware modification. They nastavovitelné alarms for module FrSky using Rx? or turn them off?
juraj.jurej

Postby Zector » 17 Feb 2013, 03:29

Can a lead from the computer/upgrade port on the 9xr be used for the feed vs all the soldering?
Zector

Postby Veqtor » 17 Feb 2013, 19:33

How many UARTs are being used up by the 9XR per default? Would be interesting to also put a bluetooth device inside it and use it to send data to and from a laptop.

With a FC on the receiving end it could be possible to establish two way serial communication through the frsky 2-way protocal and the 9XR that would merge serial to and from an external device (laptop).

We need a schematic for the 9XR... Also, has anyone considered exchanging the ATMEGA64 for a ATMEGA128?

I find it a bit concerning that turnigy didn't go for a larger MCU considering how cheap the larger ones are. We could have 4 UARTS and a USB connection (using a ftdi chip) on the 9XR and a lot more programming memory... Perhaps the base firmware could have been ported to an arduino-esque sketch and dev tool so that it would become easier for beginners to develop for it... :shock:
Veqtor

Postby mpjf01 » 17 Feb 2013, 20:31

Veqtor wrote:Would be interesting to also put a bluetooth device inside it and use it to send data to and from a laptop.

Been done I reckon. Look up the FRS logger thread on RC groups, there's an Android and a PC version.
mpjf01

Postby quintilio » 20 Feb 2013, 01:22

Hi.
Can this telemetry MOD be done using the FrSky DHT 8ch DIY Telemetry Compatible Transmitter Module (HK part FRTEL)?
I want to use the internal antena aswell and maybe put this module inside the radio or inside another module case (like the 9X base module). Is that possible?

Is the module soldering step the same on the DHT as you did on the DJT?

Or maybe is there another telemetry module more suited to do this?

I appreciate your support. Thanks,
quintilio

Postby mpjf01 » 20 Feb 2013, 07:05

Have a look at the thread titled FRSKY DIY module, it explains one way to do it.
mpjf01

Postby Veqtor » 20 Feb 2013, 07:28

mpjf01 wrote:
Veqtor wrote:Would be interesting to also put a bluetooth device inside it and use it to send data to and from a laptop.

Been done I reckon. Look up the FRS logger thread on RC groups, there's an Android and a PC version.

No, I mean:

TX <- Uart Bluetooth -> Laptop
TX <- Uart -> Frsky

So you need two Uarts.
That would also allow for the laptop to do stuff like configuring multiwii setting from the laptop and receiving GPS commands etc (via the frsky protocol)
Veqtor

Postby mpjf01 » 20 Feb 2013, 07:37

You would be better off at the 9x forum where all this has been discussed already. Also see how they have upgraded their tx to 128 processor.
mpjf01

Postby juraj.jurej » 27 Feb 2013, 00:42

I made the transfer to you by telemetry. When I turn on the transmitter can not turn off the switch (THR.CUT) Do you know where is the problem? The switch is OK. I recorded Open9x. Other works OK.
juraj.jurej

Postby dinislam1395 » 21 Mar 2013, 02:00

Have you installed FrSky version of Open9X?
dinislam1395

Postby juraj.jurej » 22 Mar 2013, 10:20

dinislam1395 wrote:Have you installed FrSky version of Open9X?

Yes even more times. Telemetry works.
juraj.jurej

Postby butchalline » 25 Mar 2013, 07:18

I appreciate the work of Zeeland and would like to see more of it. However, I have to go with kaivalagi on this. Actually I would like for Tx designers to get away from the traditional, gaudy (IMHO) designs. A top mounted touch screen would be nice, something like this:

eclipse tx.jpg
eclipse tx.jpg (4.51 KiB) Viewed 7331 times

My solution is as follows: Note the hot glue to make the cables turn the way I wanted them to turn.

frsky 1.jpg

frsky2.jpg

OK, so max of three pix can be uploaded :x I sanded the handle flat and epoxied a piece of plywood then mounted display with double stick foam tape.
BTW, I found best prices for Fr'sky telemetry at Alofthobbies in USA.

Cheers to all
butchalline

Postby Xtrem » 29 Mar 2013, 07:40

If you want RxD, just solder another wire and cut the PCB

Hi Zeeland,

Could you explain how?

I´ve allready follow your exellent mod, and work´s fine.

Thanks
Xtrem

Postby Homer499 » 05 Apr 2013, 15:37

Could someone help to me? what i done wrong?
A1 and A2 analog ports doesn't show any info information, only 0,00.
A1 and X are connected by the jumper, A1 should show internal built-in battery voltage.
Homer499

Postby mpjf01 » 05 Apr 2013, 15:48

What firmware have you installed? I use OPENTX with the FRSKY compile option. I'm guessing that as you are seeing zero values you have the hardware installed and a telemetry version of the firmware. Have you set the voltage divider in the firmware? Telemetry screen for each model, set voltage to 13.2.
mpjf01

Postby Homer499 » 05 Apr 2013, 19:41

Firmware is ER9x-FRSKY from here.
RSSI and TSSI is OK.
Could you tell me how to set the voltage divider in the firmware?
Homer499

Postby mpjf01 » 05 Apr 2013, 20:02

Go to the part where you set up the model data, there will be a FRSKY option or similar. The voltage settings should be able to be put there.

Two options if you can't see how. Change your firmware to OPENTX then I can help. Or preferably, go to the OPENRC forum and read through the threads under the ER9X banner, the answers will be there.
mpjf01

PreviousNext

Return to TX Modules