CONVERTING 9XR TO FRSKY TELEMETRY (DJT MODULE)

433 Mhz/1.2Ghz/2.4 Ghz/5.8 Ghz Modules, JR / Futaba, Telemetry . OrangeRX, FrSky, Spectrum, Assan, ......

Compatibility, setup, features, all the questions about that, ask here !

Re: CONVERTING 9XR TO FRSKY TELEMETRY (DJT MODULE)

Postby Hegu78 » 02 May 2013, 22:53

Zeeland wrote:
Yes, just with TxD you can't program factory alarm settings, but I found they (factory alarm settings) are good enough for, if I can say, most of people. I set 9XR the same alarm level.

If you want RxD, just solder another wire and cut the PCB.

Thank you for reminding, I will put these in PDF.

Hi Zeeland,

Thanks for great instructions! I'll give your PDF to my friend who is going to mod my radio. I'm just worrying that RxD part because I am not sure how it should be done and therefore explaining it to friend would be hard.

I understood that isolated pins are in 9xr and perhaps I find them using images in this page. But from where that extra wire needs to be soldered?

Henri
Hegu78

Postby batzkass » 17 May 2013, 00:28

Hi guys

Thanks for this hack, it was very useful and worked well for me.
Like Hegu78, I would like to set alarms into the DJT module, but I need some additional informations.
I have seen this wiki : http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/9x_Full_Mod_FrSky, but the modifications are for 9x and not 9xr.
Could you explain more precisely what we have to do ? (do we need additional resistor, where to cut, and where to weld)

Thanks for your help.
batzkass

Postby Zector » 24 May 2013, 12:44

What is the value of the 2 resistors that were removed? i did the mod, but botched the solder to the chip, so i have data but have lost the use of two buttons.

I am thinking about getting a rangelink for fpv, and go orange module for some of my pnp planes. I can solder in resistors of the proper value, and reflash to the standard software and get my two switches back.

Thanks!
Zector

Postby borg359 » 30 May 2013, 23:59

Hi guys,
I have a new 9xr to which I'd like apply this mod. My only hesitation is re-flashing the 9xr to the er9x firmware. It was my understanding that the 9xr firmware was much improved over that of the 9x, so would I be losing any features when flashing to the modified er9x firmware over the stock 9xr firmware? Your thoughts would be much appreciated!

-Dan
borg359

Postby uniring » 08 Jun 2013, 04:24

I've just done the mod to my new 9XR and DJT and flashed the lastest svn er9x FrSky firmware but I have a problem...

If I power up the transmitter without the DJT module connected, all works well, but if I power it up with the module in, the module beeps and the screen doesn't turn on, the only thing that "powers up" is the ready light and the two leds in the DJT (red fixed and green flashing).

If I power up the 9XR without the module and put the module after it started working, the module also beeps but I can link with the receiver and move the servos, no telemetry data is present.

If I desolder the cable with the 500ohm resistor, it starts up correctly and the module works as spected, but there is no telemetry data, obviously.

I've double checked all the soldering points and cables and all seems to be ok, any ideas about what's happening?

Thanks!
uniring

Postby uniring » 08 Jun 2013, 05:51

uniring wrote:I've just done the mod to my new 9XR and DJT and flashed the lastest svn er9x FrSky firmware but I have a problem...

If I power up the transmitter without the DJT module connected, all works well, but if I power it up with the module in, the module beeps and the screen doesn't turn on, the only thing that "powers up" is the ready light and the two leds in the DJT (red fixed and green flashing).

If I power up the 9XR without the module and put the module after it started working, the module also beeps but I can link with the receiver and move the servos, no telemetry data is present.

If I desolder the cable with the 500ohm resistor, it starts up correctly and the module works as spected, but there is no telemetry data, obviously.

I've double checked all the soldering points and cables and all seems to be ok, any ideas about what's happening?

Thanks!

Ok, now I see why people say TRIPLE CHECK... Just after writing this post I've rechecked everything paying all my attention to the pictures and found I was thinking the yellow cable (the one with the 500ohm resistor) was soldered to the leftmost pin, not to the same soldering pad as the white one...

Now works perfectly, sad that it only transmist the RX and TX signals by default, was thinking it will send the voltage of the battery... Now I need to buy some telemetry modules for it :)
uniring

Postby ShowMaster » 13 Jun 2013, 22:43

I'm confused? All the Frsky 2way modules send back RSSI and A1 and A2 analog voltage readings from the 2way RXs. Usually A1 sends back the RX voltage by default. A2 dues require a resistor divider or Frsky's divider $3 to measure your planes lipo.
If you use the free Frsky program or other free ones and Frsky's USB to rs232 programming cable you can set alarms already built into the Frsky 2 way tx modules. These alarms can be set to beep on low RSSI values you choose, and the same for A2 and A2 levels. The internal alarm will sound and can have different beeps per alarm.
If you want to actually read and program these levels without soldering mods you can add the FLD-02 display and you're good to go,
Of course doing a full telemetry soldering upgrade to you tx will add this feature to your tx display but it isn't for everyone to do.
ShowMaster

Postby vthinsel » 14 Jun 2013, 18:36

Hello,

Thanks for the nice tutorial.
I'm thinking of applying this mod, but with RxD also. Which pin of SIPEX 3222 need to be wired in that case ?

Just for my understanding, using SIPEX3222 pads avoids level converting as seen on other Howto's , based on max 232 or transistors . Is that it ?

Cheers,
Vincent
vthinsel

Postby enricnes » 15 Jun 2013, 07:58

Hi,
I'm about to do this mod to my 9xr too. Just some clarifications: according to the sipex 3232 datasheet, you are using pin number 11, not 14. And according to the same datasheet, the pin of the sipex for djt rx is 9 or 12, being 12 my bet for correct pin ( I'd need to check with the multimeter).
What is the function of the 500 ohm resistor in series? That resistor is hard to get where I live, i guess a 470 ohm would do the trick, wouldn't it?
Would the rx pin of djt need a resistor too?
Cheers
Enric
enricnes

Postby pitchmixer » 22 Jun 2013, 22:16

thank you for sharing this.

is this mod limited to ER9X fw only or could you use it with OpenTX/Open9X also?
pitchmixer

Postby vovancbr » 03 Jul 2013, 05:06

vthinsel wrote:I'm thinking of applying this mod, but with RxD also. Which pin of SIPEX 3222 need to be wired in that case ?

hello everyone,

it's already 6month from this mod and looks like noone can find a right answer how to connect RxD

any news on this?

will appreciate any help there
vovancbr

Postby Kombat » 03 Jul 2013, 22:08

Hello guys, 2 questions:
1. After doing this mod will the transmitter maintain compatibility with other than FrSky modules? I currently have DJT module but I'm thinking of buying corona module as I have a bunch of Corona receivers laying around, also some LRS system in the future and I don't want to break radio's compatibility with modules other than FrSky.
2. Can someone provide exact instructions for doing this mod with rx and tx supported? The PDF gives instructions about rx part only... what about if I want to set alarms on the module itself?
Kombat

Postby KresoCro » 08 Jul 2013, 19:55

Hello guys,

I am new here on forum.
Just to represent myself,my name is Kresimir and I live in Zagreb (capital of Croatia).I am familiar with electronic,SMD and soldering.
At this moment I am waiting Turnigy 9xr from HK so I decide to prepare myself for some MODS when arrive.Also I order FrSky DJT combo pack:http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__14355__FrSky_DF_2_4Ghz_Combo_Pack_for_JR_w_Module_RX.html

Also I order TTL/RS232 converter:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261064021364&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:3160.

My wish is to embedded telemetry to 9XR with voice mod (I know that space inside transmitter is issue).

I was reading this forum and OpenTX/Open9x ,code google....... and have some qustions becuase is there too much tutorials how to and becuse that I am little confused. :?
I will tell you my idea and please correct me!!!

I don't want to mess with TX module because TTL level,so I decided to implement TTL/RS232 converter between TX module and MCU.THR and AIL will re-route to new pins.
Do I need to install resistor into TX module even that I use TTL converter or is enough to connect TX and RX from module do converter and then to MCU?.
What is advantage if I use both TX and RX lines from DJT module?
Is it possible to add voice mod to 9XR but like external module because of space inside.
If I recived 9XR with Atmega64,do I need to replace it with 128?

I will use Companion9x to exlude unnecesseary items like HELI,GVAR,TEMPLATES etc.

Please advice

BR

Kresimir
KresoCro

Postby mpjf01 » 08 Jul 2013, 21:22

My advice is to ask these questions at the Opentx forum. There is also a Wiki that describes how to do the telemetry mod linked to from there. The guys who developed the mods run that forum.
mpjf01

Postby ShowMaster » 09 Jul 2013, 00:21

http://openrcforums.com/forum/index.php ... ce46855ad2
Yes use the resistor in the DJT line. I believe it's purpose is to keep the DJT from being programmed when updating the tx FW?
You can get the rs232 from the DJT back connector for RXD and TXD. Only 2 wires no ground.
Connecting both lines allows the menu screens to program the DJTs internal alarm options like RSSI and AI and A2.
There is a discussion by the FW author to only use the readings and no longer write le els to the DJT but it does come pre programmed RSSI by Frsky and I think it's set high so I like being a able to reprogram it from the menu, no computer connection needed to the DJT.
You will pretty much do the mods that are written for the 9x.
To add voice look up megasound board on eBay. Very small, all SMD, works, $45 to door.
SD card with er9x can be programmed with the USB port on the tx.
ShowMaster

Postby KresoCro » 10 Jul 2013, 01:02

Thanks for help.

I find something that seems OK to me (logical).Also I read that is good to have both lines (TX&RX) because of FW update to module.

http://www.rchacker.com/projects/turnigy-9x/open9x-and-telemetry

Only that I didn't figure out, is PINS on DJT module (not DIY) TX and RX connected to internal RS232.I will see when module arrives (I don't see reason not).

BR

Kresimir
KresoCro

Postby ShowMaster » 12 Jul 2013, 15:11

Yes, module back connector has TXD and RXD RS232 that a servo connector will fit. Only carry 2 wires into the 9xr not the 3rd ground to prevent a ground loop effect.
Make a small hole in the case to pass the 2 wires through with connector on one end, solder tails on the other. This makes the hole needed very small.
You can also use the two blank pins on the module connector that plugs into the 9xr but you must isolate those pins from ground inside the 9xr!
ShowMaster

Postby gerardv » 16 Jul 2013, 05:17

May be it is possible to add telemetry without soldering or cutting pcb board.
Hextronik add 14051 multiplexer.
On the left connector pin 2 is not used but it is connected to X1
and on the right connector pin 8 is not used but it is connected to X2,
so if we swap pin 2/5 on the left connector and pin 2/8 on the right connector
may be we can do something clean.
For this mod the firmware must be modified too.
Attachments
telemetry 9xr.jpg
gerardv

Postby ShowMaster » 18 Jul 2013, 00:23

HK may not support a new FW. If you modify it like the 9x and do cut and redirect the traces, any new er9x or opentx will support it. I'd go with the mod and have good FW support from the openrcfourms.
Here is my simple 9x m64 mod using wire wrap wire and the original SMD resistors. Notice the 2 trace cuts on pins 2&3 bottom left.
Real clean and you're good to go if you can solder.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374078081.615773.jpg

Vibration mod wire on pin 43
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374078157.643518.jpg
ShowMaster

Postby gerardv » 30 Jul 2013, 07:24

Alternative, if you dont need futuba trainer port, you can used it for frsky telemetry.
IMGP4695.jpg
IMGP4682.jpg
What you need : ful-1 (frsky RS232 Converter), futuba plug, straight pin header, dupond housing and pins
IMGP4686.jpg
Soldering pins to ful-1

After, you must cross TX/RX on the pcb ful-1
Last edited by gerardv on 31 Jul 2013, 16:40, edited 2 times in total.
gerardv

Postby gerardv » 30 Jul 2013, 07:30

You must cross TX/RX on pcb.
If you have VCC on futuba port, you dont need to strap VCC from frsky module.
WARNING do not used VCC by futuba port because the voltage is from the battery (12 volts),
Inside the trnasmitter rewire the ftuba port to +5v, GND, MOSI, MISO like other mod on 9x.
ful-1.jpg
Crossing TX/RX
gerardv

Postby gerardv » 03 Aug 2013, 06:15

@Showmaster : yes the standard 9x mod is clean and you can flash many kind of firmware without nothing to change.
But I want to show a new telemetry mod only with 9xr using the multiplexer that Hextronic integrade without use,
may be someone want to use the other free pin on the multiplexer.
Rather that a long description I draw in yellow the change to do.
You have to swap some pin on the connector.
For the resistor and the capacitor, I found it on old electronic PCB, it is very small but not impossible to solder.
Use resistor = 200 ohms, capacitor = 2nf.
Put the strap pin 6/8 on 14051, the INHIBIT pin is set to GND, otherwise the multiplexer's gate do nothing.
For this mod you must modify the firmware, I made it and it works great.
You can find the patch for this mod on openTx under define TELEMETRY_MOD=14051
Have a nice time.
T9XR_mod.jpg
9XR telemetry mod
Last edited by gerardv on 11 Aug 2013, 14:52, edited 2 times in total.
gerardv

Postby ShowMaster » 03 Aug 2013, 14:30

Thank you for the diagram. I'll save it.
ShowMaster

Postby Slim_jlp » 09 Aug 2013, 10:08

enricnes wrote:Hi,
I'm about to do this mod to my 9xr too. Just some clarifications: according to the sipex 3232 datasheet, you are using pin number 11, not 14. And according to the same datasheet, the pin of the sipex for djt rx is 9 or 12, being 12 my bet for correct pin ( I'd need to check with the multimeter).
What is the function of the 500 ohm resistor in series? That resistor is hard to get where I live, i guess a 470 ohm would do the trick, wouldn't it?
Would the rx pin of djt need a resistor too?
Cheers
Enric

I agree with you on the pin#11, it makes sense since that is T1IN which is the right level for that signal to be compatible with the atmega and not requiring an RS232 level shift. I also think pin 12 would be the right RX pin. I did not do the multimeter test yet. But it would make sense even just looking at the picture. There is a test pad/via on pin 12.
Slim_jlp

PreviousNext

Return to TX Modules