CONVERTING 9XR TO FRSKY TELEMETRY (DJT MODULE)

433 Mhz/1.2Ghz/2.4 Ghz/5.8 Ghz Modules, JR / Futaba, Telemetry . OrangeRX, FrSky, Spectrum, Assan, ......

Compatibility, setup, features, all the questions about that, ask here !

Re: CONVERTING 9XR TO FRSKY TELEMETRY (DJT MODULE)

Postby pampac42 » 10 Aug 2013, 06:26

I got a problem and need some help.

Since i did the FrSky telemetry mod the throtle cut and aileron d/r switch don't work probably.

They only work if they are both of them switched on. This means :

throtle switch off - aileron d/r switch off = both off
throtle switch off - aileron d/r switch on = both off
throtle switch on - aileron d/r switch off = both off
throtle switch on - aileron d/r switch on = both on

What's wrong ????
pampac42

Postby pampac42 » 10 Aug 2013, 06:49

I found the answer....

In companion i didn't check the option for the M 128 Chip that is inside in my 9xr.

Sometimes it work and sometimes not...

what is wrong ??
Last edited by pampac42 on 18 Aug 2013, 04:26, edited 1 time in total.
pampac42

Postby gkor75 » 12 Aug 2013, 01:00

ShowMaster wrote:I guess I'm confused, I thought you needed 2 pins on the Frsky module? One for TXD and one for RXD?
How is it you only need one wire, the last one and not the second one from the other end as well?

Hello, I am new here, but I did my homework prior asking this question.
As I can see at http://www.rchacker.com/projects/turnig ... -telemetry, the DJT's Rxd should be connected to ATMEGA's MISO pin, right? Should I use regular wire or some resistor?
But why do you recommend 2.7k ohm while there was only 500 ohm required for Txd? Why it should be on DJT side, not on 9xr?
Some picture of your mod would be more then welcome.
gkor75

Postby greywolf123 » 28 Aug 2013, 05:18

I got lucky and the newest 9xr was in stock, so I ordered it and a DJT telemetry module with a telemetry reciever. So let me see if I get this right. In order to see the telemetry display I still have to do the mod to the trans and upgrade the FW to er9x? Do I need to take anything out of trans in order to use a smartieparts board, or can I use it at all? Can this backlight stay on and can I change the color, or do I need to put a new one in?
greywolf123

Postby greywolf123 » 28 Aug 2013, 07:21

Just got an email from steve from smarty parts. NO you cannot use the smarty parts programmer for the 9xr or the telemetryez board either.
greywolf123

Postby ShowMaster » 01 Sep 2013, 23:45

The 9xr has to be solder modified if you want telemetry display. The 9x is a much better radio if you want a no solder telemetry conversion.
if you have the intestinal fortitude (guts) to push ahead with learning to solder and risk damaging your motherboard it's worth the effort. All the mods have been documented either here or on the openRx forum site.
http://openrcforums.com/forum/index.php ... 53fe0f76f4
The good news is HK I believe, sells a replacement 9xr motherboard so your not going to be without a working radio if you really mess up.
If you really want all the features IN your 9XR you only have one option, trace cutting and soldering. You can hang the Frsky dashboard on your tx handle without soldering as the other option.
ShowMaster

Postby igo9x » 12 Nov 2013, 10:22

Hi,

I will receive a new "turnigy 9x w/module & 8ch receiver" , and a "DJT combo (DJT module and D8R-II plus telemetry receiver)". Once flashed with er9x or open9x, I will do this mod to have telemetry data on the radio screen.

Then, In some time, I will remove the DJT module and put back the original module that come with the radio and give it to a fiend with the 8ch receiver, and use the D8R-II receiver with my Taranis.

My question : after the telemetry modification, will the radio be able to use the stock module again ?
igo9x

Postby igo9x » 13 Nov 2013, 04:39

no one ?? ..
igo9x

Postby dinislam1395 » 13 Nov 2013, 04:48

Yes it should be fine if you have done the mod correctly as you are using the two unused pines from the module .
dinislam1395

Postby ShowMaster » 13 Nov 2013, 17:54

The telemetry mod if you solder it is pretty involved. Why not sell your friend the modified DJT along with the modified 9x? The Frsky system is superior to the Turnigy/FlySky system and especially the stock receiver.
Do him a big RC favor and sell/give or what ever you have in mind, the better system.
ShowMaster

Postby igo9x » 13 Nov 2013, 20:09

He want the 9x with stock module to work with his already purshassed 2x 8ch receivers and already owned 3x 6ch receivers. er9x/Open9X turnigy 9x will be a much better system than his actual non programmable 6ch hobbyking tx/rx.

ShowMaster wrote:The telemetry mod if you solder it is pretty involved.

you think the stock module will not work after the soldering ?
igo9x

Postby ShowMaster » 14 Nov 2013, 23:43

It will work.
Most of us used unused pins to pass the data to and from the Frsky module. In the FkySky/Turnigy module these pins go to ground. We cut the trace in the module to isolate them. Then it's ok to plug in the Turnigy module again.
The other option for the 9x is the Smartiparts screw in boards that invert the 9x to telemetry.

Also, if you use the DJT rear data connector and not the module pins for telemetry you are in good shape and no module mods.
This is not the forum to be on for 9x mods and maybe not for 9xr mods either. Try the openrcforum.com.
More technical info there.
Join them all to gain more knowledge.
ShowMaster

Postby samsab » 23 Dec 2013, 17:56

Hello Everybody
si i tried to make this mod.
I ve checked all twice, at least
but now i hget those 3 major issues:
Backlighting is off
keyboard doesn't respond
Display is ok and display "corrupted eeprom" and "press a key"
but not key respond

anyone has an idea?
si i cut each cable, in order to go back to initial stage (except the 2 cms resistor, that i have not "re-soldered", and yhe sutiuation is the same
i tried to upoload firmware. upload seems to be ok but it is the same situation 'corrupted eeprom"
Please i need any help
samsab

Postby dinislam1395 » 25 Dec 2013, 04:24

Have you flashed with right firmware. It has to be the frsky version of er9x of frsky version open 9x. Backlight has to be set to come on on the setting. Also you have to do a fresh setup after flashing with new firmware. Once the mod is done, none frsky firmware will not work fully.
dinislam1395

Postby BR1060 » 12 Mar 2014, 00:34

Question:

If I perform the board modifications, but don't flash the software, will the original software still function properly?

I ask because I have the tools to perform the board soldering, but I do not have the parts required to flash the software. Wondering if I should just wait until I can do everything, or if I can perform the solder today, put everything back together, everything work as expected (without FrySky Telemetry data) and flash at a later date.
BR1060

Re: Sv: CONVERTING 9XR TO FRSKY TELEMETRY (DJT MODULE)

Postby Dvogonen » 12 Mar 2014, 07:42

No, it will not. The modification is rerouting switch input. The original software will not be able to recognize two switches (don't remember the which ones). You should probably wait and do it at once.
Dvogonen

Postby vanstrien » 05 Apr 2014, 01:54

pampac42 wrote:I got a problem and need some help.

Since i did the FrSky telemetry mod the throtle cut and aileron d/r switch don't work probably.

They only work if they are both of them switched on. This means :

throtle switch off - aileron d/r switch off = both off
throtle switch off - aileron d/r switch on = both off
throtle switch on - aileron d/r switch off = both off
throtle switch on - aileron d/r switch on = both on

What's wrong ????

Pampac - did you solve his or does it still happen? I couldn't tell.

I have a similar problem. I assumed it was some shoddy soldering on my part - this was really hard to do. Very delicate work. However I don't see the problem.
vanstrien

Postby ShowMaster » 05 Apr 2014, 07:53

If I'm understanding your post,

If they work but to you seem reversed, it's your perception of on and off.
Wiring errors to pins 41 and 42 can't reverse their operation. They either work or they don't. There may be a menu option to reverse their operation to match what you want them to do.
Normally at power up all the tx switches want to be forward towards the case top/back. Basically equally to a full down elevator position, or a full up throttle stick position.
ShowMaster

Postby ToledoDave » 05 Apr 2014, 21:09

I also have similar problem. I have 9xr 128 chip with Er9x frsky noht firmware. Upon turning on I get throttle faults. After bypass I notice in diagnostics page the Throttle cut switch and the Ail d/r switch are chained/mixed. Neither one works individually. Either both switches pulled back to activate them both or both forward to deactivate. During activation if either switch is deactivated they both turn off. So in order to get any activity out of either switch they both need to be switched together. I read there was a radio switch mod for this after the er9x flash but cant seem to locate it. If indeed thats a factual mod. Below is a pic of my Fw and version. I do have the frsky mod done and working. Also in beginning I did the tracker mod for the futaba trainer ppm tracker connect which never worked and I use the Jr wire now and radio futaba mod is still present. I dont know if that could be causing my problems.
[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1396703342668.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1396703342668.jpg
ToledoDave

Postby vanstrien » 06 Apr 2014, 08:53

Here's what I see:

Flicking the Trainer switch also causes my aileron trim to go up.

Neither my Ail D/R or Throttle switches work at all. Zilch.

I looked at the soldered joints under a microscope and they're a little messy, but I don't see the short.

I'll try to look up which pins are which to see if that helps troubleshoot things.
vanstrien

Postby laffsj » 06 Apr 2014, 16:05

I have a 128 cpu and 9XR DJT module, I am trying to configure the telemetry to the battery, it appears on the screen 9XR values ​​are all correct, but I can not set the alarm to beep same battery by setting the values ​​in the telemetry. How do I fix this and hear the alarm? Can someone help me? I'm with er9xfrsky 811
laffsj

Postby ShowMaster » 06 Apr 2014, 22:14

vanstrien wrote:Here's what I see:

Flicking the Trainer switch also causes my aileron trim to go up.

Neither my Ail D/R or Throttle switches work at all. Zilch.

I looked at the soldered joints under a microscope and they're a little messy, but I don't see the short.

I'll try to look up which pins are which to see if that helps troubleshoot things.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396793159.873890.jpg

Your ohm meter on pin 41 or 42 to ground shouldn't change together when you throw either switch. A visual isn't the final outcome, your ohm meter is. It'll tell you if you've got the two pins shorted together somewhere. Only one pin per one dedicated switch should change using your meter.
This picture shows how on the 9x, not 9xr you can do the mods reusing the original 200 ohm SMD resistors using wire wrap wire. Each SMD resistor had the trace or pad cut through above the resistor with an exacto knife.
Maybe post good pictures of your mod and we'll be able to see your trouble?
Your ohm meter should sort this out real fast!
ShowMaster

Postby ToledoDave » 08 Apr 2014, 20:31

ShowMaster...you were absolutely correct with my issue. Not seen by naked eye there indeed was a bridge at the CPU. I cleaned them up and resoldered and now my Throttle and Ail switches work independantly again. Thankyou for the ohm check idea.
ToledoDave

Postby ShowMaster » 08 Apr 2014, 23:52

ToledoDave wrote:ShowMaster...you were absolutely correct with my issue. Not seen by naked eye there indeed was a bridge at the CPU. I cleaned them up and resoldered and now my Throttle and Ail switches work independantly again. Thankyou for the ohm check idea.

Good for you finding it.
Yes the ohm meter in DC circuits is a super tool. Not so good for rf and antenna circuits. A short to DC can be normal when AC (RF) is applied to the circuit.
In your case it's all DC type troubleshooting and the meter is better than the eye.

I make up meter probes from a wooden BBQ skewer with sharp needles in one end. The needle ends really dig into the solder connections and don't slip when measuring. The other end of the skewers are pointed for short free probing of wires and connections.
Good tools to make for troubleshooting.
I hope you're able to go flying now with you working tx.
Good work!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396972361.138273.jpg
ShowMaster

Postby ToledoDave » 09 Apr 2014, 00:42

Well not yet since im still at work. Its almost 1pm here. As soon as I get home I will be attempting a short flight to verify. Thankyou again for the advise.
ToledoDave

PreviousNext

Return to TX Modules