[un]Official 9xR MOD thread!

You are addict of Hardware / Electronics / Tuning modifications on your 9XR, this place is for you !

[un]Official 9xR MOD thread!

Postby s_mack » 18 Dec 2012, 10:36

Seriously? I'm the first to post? Wow... oK, well let's discuss how we're going to mod this thing!! Sure sure, we won't know till we get our hands on it, but it'll happen ;)
s_mack

Re: [un]Official 9xR MOD thread!

Postby 9xr » 18 Dec 2012, 10:43

bah im the second :roll:
9xr

Postby thekesh » 18 Dec 2012, 11:23

alright boys this is it, lets get the discussions going

so, lets clarify so do we still need to buy the usbavr programmer separately to flash the firmwares or is it built-in? :)
Last edited by thekesh on 18 Dec 2012, 11:24, edited 1 time in total.
thekesh

Postby s_mack » 18 Dec 2012, 11:24

seperate. The radio includes an interface to hook it up easily, but there's no programmer on board.
s_mack

Postby thekesh » 18 Dec 2012, 11:25

i c, apparent cost cutting measures ;)
thekesh

Postby s_mack » 18 Dec 2012, 11:33

i wouldn't say so, no. I think its consistent with what they're going for with this design. They've made it clear its a hackers model and they've made it clear it has an AVR chip inside. Its pretty standard for an AVR device to have a port to connect a programmer to and not have a programmer on board. The FlySky/Turnigy 9x was an example of a device that had an AVR without a port at all, which is why I came up with the bolt-on SmartieParts programmer for it. But the way they've done the 9xr is how that SHOULD be done... give us the port and let us plug in a standard ISP programmer.

Considering all the hype over this thing, I'm surprised that there's not 1000 threads already lol.

I'm still curious if its up to the hype. Is it an awesome radio for $50? Or is it a $50 radio and you get what you pay for? Is it a "replacement" for the 9x as so many speculate? Or is it just a lesser cousin with some nice features? We'll know soon enough!
s_mack

Postby thekesh » 18 Dec 2012, 11:47

s_mack wrote:i wouldn't say so, no. I think its consistent with what they're going for with this design. They've made it clear its a hackers model and they've made it clear it has an AVR chip inside. Its pretty standard for an AVR device to have a port to connect a programmer to and not have a programmer on board. The FlySky/Turnigy 9x was an example of a device that had an AVR without a port at all, which is why I came up with the bolt-on SmartieParts programmer for it. But the way they've done the 9xr is how that SHOULD be done... give us the port and let us plug in a standard ISP programmer.

Considering all the hype over this thing, I'm surprised that there's not 1000 threads already lol.

I'm still curious if its up to the hype. Is it an awesome radio for $50? Or is it a $50 radio and you get what you pay for? Is it a "replacement" for the 9x as so many speculate? Or is it just a lesser cousin with some nice features? We'll know soon enough!

ya i kno rite, can wait to figure out its capabilities in real world usage and the capabilities of the hyped up stock firmware. either way, i feel that no matter how many feature it ends up having, its always gonna lack some such as expandable channels and etc. since, you seem to be having knowledge regarding the add on boards, do you think it would be possible to hav a seperate pcb board attachment to the main one to provide extra features like additional channels through additional modules and more model memory just like adding an sheild to an arduino board :idea: :?: :idea:
thekesh

Postby s_mack » 18 Dec 2012, 11:57

Well, that's what I do... try to see how something good can be made better through add-ons. Its no secret that's my interest in this radio. I'm sure it will be popular and I'd love to come up with something for it. But what that will be? I won't know until I get one. Your idea's a good one but channel capabilities has more to do with the module than the "radio"
s_mack

Postby thekesh » 18 Dec 2012, 12:24

s_mack wrote:Well, that's what I do... try to see how something good can be made better through add-ons. Its no secret that's my interest in this radio. I'm sure it will be popular and I'd love to come up with something for it. But what that will be? I won't know until I get one. Your idea's a good one but channel capabilities has more to do with the module than the "radio"

exactly, i was waiting for someone with the know hows to come along and make it even better, so my concern was that i am planning on purchasing a model which requires 12 channels and as you kno the radio has only 8 usable channels. My idea was to gut a secondary module and permanently install the gut into the radio itself and then add a module to the radio for a effective of 16 total channels. then you could use two receivers on the model, and somehow use an add on board to use all the 18 channels at once, what do you say?
thekesh

Postby s_mack » 18 Dec 2012, 12:39

Maybe. Some do it with the 9x already, making use of the trainer circuit to run a second module/receiver.
s_mack

Postby jhsa » 19 Dec 2012, 00:20

Theres an option on the 9x with custom firmwares called ppm16. channels 1 to 8 go to the main module and 9 to 16 are sent to the trainer port.. this way you can hook up another RF module and enjoy 16 channels.. :)
jhsa

Postby mpl » 19 Dec 2012, 08:21

my first mod will be to put beer bottle holder on 9XR
mpl

Postby helixerox » 19 Dec 2012, 10:09

We need to know which processor is installed, this is the starting point, in the 9X we are on "low memory" situation for more implements.
helixerox

Postby stevecox » 19 Dec 2012, 12:41

Hmm it says 16 model memory. I think this is just a step sideways not up from the 9x essentially with no soldering for the AVR to connect to which is cool considering the overall cost & whats available from anywhere similar out there. What would be nice & probably what a lot of us were hoping is along the lines of is to see a higher spec of this tx, even at a higher cost, for instance simply more mem or sdcard slot & more channels would have been sweet. If anyone is here or lurking yet from there yet, will the ersky9x board fit in this - then I will buy one :-) ?
stevecox

Postby RonSII » 20 Dec 2012, 00:16

I see someone is already posting on the HK boards about what modules can be used with it. Talking about this one http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... eiver.html and some others.

>>
__ GP said:

__ Like it?
__ Received LRS with TX, TX will be fitted on 9XR Strom Trooper, Fits well on Fly Sky, working on it to bind and check range, will report back once done, see images tab
>>
RonSII

Postby s_mack » 20 Dec 2012, 02:54

stevecox wrote:Hmm it says 16 model memory. I think this is just a step sideways not up from the 9x essentially with no soldering for the AVR to connect to which is cool considering the overall cost & whats available from anywhere similar out there. What would be nice & probably what a lot of us were hoping is along the lines of is to see a higher spec of this tx, even at a higher cost, for instance simply more mem or sdcard slot & more channels would have been sweet. If anyone is here or lurking yet from there yet, will the ersky9x board fit in this - then I will buy one :-) ?

But with all the (fan imagined) hype, I thought this already held a million models inside? And not just the data... I thought it actually held the physical models in it so I didn't have to transport my planes. Sigh, it was always silly what people were stating AS FACT this thing would come with/be able to do/etc. I think you're right... its a step sideways, and not a big step at that. But (and I know I've said this a ton already) we won't know until we actually get it.

Which... by the way... is when? I mean... this site's up with "buy it" buttons but, unless I'm missing something... you can't actually buy it yet.
s_mack

Postby switch3300 » 20 Dec 2012, 06:28

my first mod will be replacing the backlit "Ready" from the frontplate with my name.
A TX should not tell me if i am Ready or not :D
switch3300

Postby s_mack » 20 Dec 2012, 06:38

Yeah, that's just going to be ripe for complaints.

Customer: "I crashed my SU-47! It was expensive!"
HK C.S.: "Was there something wrong with the plane?"
Customer: "I don't know. I've never flown before"
HK C.S.: "You mean that was your first flight with the SU-47?"
Customer: "It was my first flight ever!"
HK C.S.: "What? You chose a $500 airplane for your first flight ever? What made you think you were ready for that??"
Customer: "I bought your 9XR and it told me I was ready, plus everyone said it was a magical radio that could do anything you asked it to. I want a refund".
HK C.S.: "We don't give refunds for being stupid"
Customer: "Mr. Hand hinted on the TwitterFace-o-sphere that you did"

Moral of the story: Don't bother reading my posts.
Last edited by s_mack on 20 Dec 2012, 15:07, edited 1 time in total.
s_mack

Postby DeathWarmedUp » 20 Dec 2012, 10:22

LOL and I bet they get that in support dept.
DeathWarmedUp

Postby Chocksaway » 21 Dec 2012, 04:08

I noticed the 4 way button setup is there as on the 9X. I really hope the unusual way of using it has changed. I've never been able to grasp the idea that to move a cursor right you have to use the left button. All this time and still I go the wrong way at times. Plus hopefully a dedicated SAVE or MEMORY button. I lost count of the times I spent ages entering a plane's name and all the info only to find it didn't save the darned thing and I'd have to start again. To younger users it's probably 2nd nature to program the 9X but I'm no longer in that category so things have to get easier.

I wonder if any Beta testing has been carried out on the 9XR? You boffins with the brains and ability to program these things really have my admiration. I considered trying it but after seeing just the gadgets required to just flash the radio I quickly gave up. But over many years I've noticed that some brainy people tend to forget it's us dummies who have to use the device and as long as it works it's good. Suddenly the not so brainy clods find they need a diploma just to switch things on and get it working. A Manual, when there is one is good, if written by a brainless clod in the first place. Sometimes manuals are written by the person who designed the gadget. That can tend to make you wish there was no manual to start with. But as they say, and it becomes reality as you get older. If you can't figure something out, give it to a six year old and they'll have it working in 10 minutes.

What does the 9XR have in store for us brainless clods. Please note, I include myself in that category and have no intentions of upsetting anyone who feels they qualify. It just sounded better than them and us. ;)
Chocksaway

Postby s_mack » 21 Dec 2012, 05:32

If you did stick with it and learn to program the 9x with custom firmware... one benefit would be that you can type things like the name into the eepe software on your computer, click what settings you want, etc... all with the comfort of you mouse and keyboard, and then simply flash it over to the radio. I haven't used those clunky buttons on the radio for really anything in over a year.
s_mack

Postby mpjf01 » 21 Dec 2012, 09:36

It's not a matter of being brainless, just that a lot of the paradigms that are second nature to many (mainly young) people are not those that the older generations grew up with.

The custom firmwares for the 9x took me a little while to get used to but I found that once I got over the initial learning curve they are easy enough to use. I do the initial setup of models on my PC (using c9X) but find it better to use the Tx for the final part as I like to see what the model is actually doing when I operate the Tx. The left/right key issue goes away with the custom firmwares. Having said all that, if you can get past the chinglish manual, the standard 9x firmware does the job perfectly well for the vast majority of model types. For those users who like flexibility of programming (particularly) the custom firmware is the way to go.
mpjf01

Postby exquisite » 21 Dec 2012, 09:39

When is this thing being released?Kinda tired of waiting!!! :)
exquisite

Postby Chocksaway » 21 Dec 2012, 10:27

switch3300 wrote:my first mod will be replacing the backlit "Ready" from the frontplate with my name.
A TX should not tell me if i am Ready or not :D

Good one. You don't like to be told when you're ready but you need a reminder as to what your name is. My wife wants a running tally as to how much I've spent with HK
every time I plug it into my computer it should download the latest figures. I told her it will only accept words not numbers and thank goodness, she believes me. Personally I'd like to see the amount of days flown without any accidents or hours in my case. It would give me something to work towards. :lol: Or maybe the days we've lived past the supposed end of the world. :o
Chocksaway

Postby s_mack » 22 Dec 2012, 00:12

I think if HobbyKing ever broke our trust and released the totals its customers spend.... there'd be a lot of divorce filings.
s_mack

Next

Return to 9XR Mods