Turnigy 9xr Modules & rxs

433 Mhz/1.2Ghz/2.4 Ghz/5.8 Ghz Modules, JR / Futaba, Telemetry . OrangeRX, FrSky, Spectrum, Assan, ......

Compatibility, setup, features, all the questions about that, ask here !

Re: Empty modul cases ??

Postby JiriValerian » 30 Dec 2012, 22:14

Kilrah wrote:The file that was posted shows otherwise. It has an u.FL pigtail, so yes, if they supplied empty cases with the connector and cable it would be easy to install the guts of another module in.

No, because a green plate on this picture is the module PCB and antena connector is attached to the module PCB and not to the module case. And of course, it is unlikely that will release empty the module case with this connector for other modules.
JiriValerian

Re: Turnigy 9xr Modules & rxs

Postby Kilrah » 30 Dec 2012, 22:25

The rest of the picture doesn't show it soldered. We can see the "ridges" in the casing to hold it in place, the PCB is just leaning on it but not soldered as it looks.

Still unlikely they'd supply cases, but we never know, maybe if people ask enough...
Kilrah

Postby JiriValerian » 30 Dec 2012, 22:36

Kilrah wrote:The rest of the picture doesn't show it soldered. We can see the "ridges" in the casing to hold it in place, the PCB is just leaning on it but not soldered as it looks.

This picture is not detailed enough and soldering can be hidden under the socket of connector. Soldering is likely due to improved flavored this connector.

Kilrah wrote:Still unlikely they'd supply cases, but we never know, maybe if people ask enough...

Similarly it is likely to will released directly to some version other modules as Assan, FrSky and so on already with this connector. That would more profit than just empty module cases.
JiriValerian

Postby FPVManiac » 30 Dec 2012, 23:28

Heard about someone saying there are discussions going with other manufactures to make compatible modules to support the internal antenna.Well,these are all speculations like the speculation that was doing rounds about the 9xr itself,so you never know whats coming ahead.And i really dont think empty cases are the way to go with such situations.
FPVManiac

Postby JakeStew » 31 Dec 2012, 07:40

Recipe for the ultimate low-performance system...
- Start with a really low gain antenna, 1-2 dBi is as low as you can get and still legally call it an antenna.
- Add a run of coax to start racking up signal loss.
- Add a connector to throw in some connector losses and signal reflections.
- For good measure add in a run of coax on the other side of the connector, now you have two coax runs worth of losses!
- Don't solder this coax onto the board, use another connector to keep those losses coming!
- Feed the whole thing with a low power RF signal, less than 100mW, preferably around 60mW.

If you followed this recipe right you should be able to achieve less than 0.5 dBi of antenna gain. This will keep your EIRP down around 60-70mW for all those short range applications you've dreamt of!

Remember that all these steps can create impedance mismatches, stray capacitance, and signal reflections. This will keep your signal quality down and everybody should know that a low EIRP + poor signal quality will give you the shortest range possible!

If you can find additional tips to reduce your range please let me know, it's a constant struggle to keep your range as short as possible!
JakeStew

Postby EjectSteve » 31 Dec 2012, 11:23

It's not like they would have to make new molds etc to sell an empty case. Presumably they are already producing them by the 1000 for their turnigy dsmx module and perhaps making the parts available in the supply chain to frsky and others.
EjectSteve

Postby Kilrah » 01 Jan 2013, 00:32

JakeStew wrote: This will keep your signal quality down and everybody should know that a low EIRP + poor signal quality will give you the shortest range possible!

Yet it's still enough, so most people just go out and spend some good time flying.

While it's an engineer's dream, in the real world you don't always need something that's optimal, you need something that works for the intended purpose.
It might not be as good as it gets technically, but it gets the job done and it's user friendly. That's what matters most, especially in a $50 entry level radio that will mostly be used to fly small models in VLOS.
Those who want to do more know what to do.
Kilrah

Postby JakeStew » 01 Jan 2013, 04:01

True. I've spent countless hours doing projects only to find out that it wasn't a good idea to begin with. Just trying to save people the potential disappointment or at least lower expectations.

It only takes a few seconds to screw on a decent antenna, IF you get the right gear to start with. I'm also hoping the engineers at HK will see the light and make gear that avoids design issues like I mentioned. I really like the 9X system, so I'm hoping a little discussion of design issues will help make the whole thing a little better and cheaper!
JakeStew

Postby FPVManiac » 01 Jan 2013, 14:20

ok..iam not gonna use the internal antennas.Knew it was a bad idea..Only modules with externs
FPVManiac

Postby Wimh » 01 Jan 2013, 19:49

I will be using internal antenna's. IMHO the antenna is the same 2Dbi one most modules come with, yielding under 100Mw EIRP indeed, the maximum we're allowedto use here in Europe anyway. They have been shown to have ranges well in excess of 3 km :
http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showthre ... -Weatronic
Wimh

Postby mapes12 » 01 Jan 2013, 20:11

Wimh wrote:I will be using internal antenna's. IMHO the antenna is the same 2Dbi one most modules come with, yielding under 100Mw EIRP indeed, the maximum we're allowedto use here in Europe anyway. They have been shown to have ranges well in excess of 3 km :
http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showthre ... -Weatronic
+ 1 :D
mapes12

Postby JakeStew » 02 Jan 2013, 17:13

If you want to use a $0.25 antenna with your $35+ TX module then more power to you I guess.

When you have a flyaway and loose $500+ worth of gear because you lost signal then you'll get another chance to choose your radio equipment.
If the modules are like the old stock 9X module you also won't have a working failsafe, and I've read about several flyaways related to, or made worse by, this missing feature.
JakeStew

Postby FPVManiac » 05 Jan 2013, 01:06

Hey,i just got my 9xr..I wanna know if the frsky with telemetry fits in perfect in the module bay or should i have to do some changes?
FPVManiac

Postby kaivalagi » 05 Jan 2013, 01:36

FPVManiac wrote:Hey,i just got my 9xr..I wanna know if the frsky with telemetry fits in perfect in the module bay or should i have to do some changes?

I assume you are talking about this: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... le_RX.html

I'll find out when I get my 9XR and it in the post, it better fit! It's JR spec so should...
kaivalagi

Postby JiriValerian » 05 Jan 2013, 02:05

FPVManiac wrote:Hey,i just got my 9xr..I wanna know if the frsky with telemetry fits in perfect in the module bay or should i have to do some changes?

There may be a problem similar as this link. It was insufficient contact in the 9XR slot at some pins on the RF module and use a Dremel or other tool it was solve. If needed, how exactly you can grind there you know when you have the Frsky module.
JiriValerian

Postby Pcandtech » 05 Jan 2013, 05:59

xxi order mine with the frysky module but i have a doud since on last turnigy 9x in order to use custom module you will need to demove stock antena to reducce signal loose should i do the same with the 9xr?
Pcandtech

Postby kaivalagi » 05 Jan 2013, 06:22

Pcandtech wrote:xxi order mine with the frysky module but i have a doud since on last turnigy 9x in order to use custom module you will need to demove stock antena to reducce signal loose should i do the same with the 9xr?

The internal antenna in the 9XR is not attached to a module as there isn't one there by default, so nothing to remove. In the 9X it came with a module and had the wire attached to it (no connector). There is now a connector for the internal antenna to connect to a module which currently none of the modules on offer use.

It remains to be seen if the internal antenna will cause any signal lose of a module using it's own antenna...
kaivalagi

Postby FPVManiac » 08 Jan 2013, 19:45

JiriValerian wrote:

There may be a problem similar as this link. It was insufficient contact in the 9XR slot at some pins on the RF module and use a Dremel or other tool it was solve. If needed, how exactly you can grind there you know when you have the Frsky module.

The link you pointed to refers to the flysky module.I want to confirm the compatiblity of the frsky DJT telemetry module.Please advice if changes are needed :?
FPVManiac

Postby stef83 » 08 Jan 2013, 23:27

Hi everybody.

I'd like to know if the future Turnigy module for the 9XR will provide telemetry as well, or not.
stef83

Postby jhsa » 08 Jan 2013, 23:38

:ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :) +1 :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
jhsa

Re: Sv: Turnigy 9xr Modules & rxs

Postby Dvogonen » 08 Jan 2013, 23:48

stef83 wrote:Hi everybody.

I'd like to know if the future Turnigy module for the 9XR will provide telemetry as well, or not.

The module interface of 9xr is identical to the one in the 9x. This interface does not support telemetry without modification. In order to support telemetry in the 9x, you have to solder wires directly to the processor legs and reroute the existing wires. Nothing indicates that the 9xr is any different.
In short ; Even if the upcoming module provides telemetry (very unlikely), the 9xr will not be able to use the telemetry information.
Dvogonen

Re: Sv: Turnigy 9xr Modules & rxs

Postby mpjf01 » 09 Jan 2013, 06:14

Dvogonen wrote:
stef83 wrote:Hi everybody.

The module interface of 9xr is identical to the one in the 9x. This interface does not support telemetry without modification. In order to support telemetry in the 9x, you have to solder wires directly to the processor legs and reroute the existing wires.

Or you can buy the telemetry add-on board which eliminates the need to solder to the processor legs. From the Smartieparts guy.
mpjf01

Postby rob.thomson » 09 Jan 2013, 06:44

That may possibly not work.

The Telemetry EZ system is made for designed for the regular 9x radio.

Don't think the 9xR has been tested with it yet. I will do this when my 9xR arrives.
rob.thomson

Postby ShowMaster » 09 Jan 2013, 14:09

Good point,
I assume to display the Frsky telemetry on the 9XR display we'll be doing a mod that reroutes the switched on pins 2&3 to 42 & 43.
I'm surprised that's being done already on this forum to see of it will work.
SM
ShowMaster

Postby jhsa » 09 Jan 2013, 18:15

You mean pins 41 and 42??
Pin 43 is used for the haptic I think..
jhsa

PreviousNext

Return to TX Modules