Video tutorial on how to upgrade the buttons

Tutorials realized by 9XR users or HK Staff.

Video tutorial on how to upgrade the buttons

Postby Dvogonen » 23 Jan 2013, 08:19

The rubber buttons of the 9XR are the worst aspect of the radio. They are inexact and give no tactile response.
I placed micro switches between the rubber buttons and the PCB which improved the experience of handling the radio tremendously.
The following video shows how to make the upgrade and tells you which micro buttons I used:

http://youtu.be/fYHOy7m_J7I
Dvogonen

Re: Video tutorial on how to upgrade the buttons

Postby Nosedive4130 » 20 Feb 2013, 17:59

Hi Dvogonen,

I recently purchased a 9XR and found this tutorial. I ordered the Micro buttons and started the install.

I messed up pretty badly the first time because I did not tin the board and contacts the first time around.
I powered the Tx on and received a message telling me that it was trying to load my First Model.
I started looking at what I had done and noticed that my soldering skills were not as good as they should have been for this kind of project. So, I researched how to do this and figured it out.

The problem is, that now I am sure that all buttons are not shorted out by solder against the button case, but I now get a message telling me my 04 Model is Loading. It never gets past that.
I looked in the manual because I remember there being a shortcut to different model profiles depending on the button that is depressed while the Tx is being powered on. 04 is the Up button on the D-Pad. So, I completely took that micro button out. I still get the Error.
I looked at the board with a magnifying loupe, and I am sure that there is no Over-Run of Solder from each side of the switch. The amount of solder left on that part of the board is only a very thin coating as if I just Tinned it.

I am wondering, can this mishap be fixed? Did I just fry a component, or have you heard of this sort of thing happening before? :?

Thanks,
Nosedive4130
Nosedive4130

Re: Sv: Video tutorial on how to upgrade the buttons

Postby Dvogonen » 20 Feb 2013, 19:32

The buttons are passive components that are meant to create a short between two lines. It is not possible to destroy anything by creating a permanent short. This is the same as always having a button depressed : that will not destroy the radio.
It is naturally possible to destroy the radio by shorting lines that are not intended to be in contact. You could e.g. have dropped a solder blob somewhere where it should not be. Let's hope you have not done that. I have done it many times. Most times nothing bad comes out of it, but I have managed to destroy things that I worked on...

Start by using a multi meter and check if there are contact between the legs of the buttons you have soldered to the bord without pushing the buttons. There should be no contact. Also check if there is contact between the two copper traces where the button you unsoldered used to be. There should be no contact.
If you do not have a multi meter you need to buy one. Everyone who solders anything needs a multi meter. The simplest models are OK, but it must have a connection check function with sound. Those without sound are worthless since you need to stay focused at where you put the measuring probes and not have to watch a display to see if there are a connection or not.
When you have found your permanent short, you need to take care of it by resoldering the buttons. The button modification is irreversible if you have gotten tin where the rubber button used to make contact. The reason is that you will not be able to get the tin off the copper traces that were originally gold plated. The tin will oxidize quickly and the original rubber push buttons will not be able to create a contact between the traces.
Dvogonen

Postby Nosedive4130 » 21 Feb 2013, 01:06

Hi Dvogonen,

I did exactly as you have described early on in this install. I do have a multimeter, but it does not have a connection check function with sound. I have managed without sound. I must have gotten a blob somewhere that it shouldn't have been early in this project because If I probe any of the copper traces, there is connection.

I thought that this was how the radio was supposed to be. I must have a short on the board or somewhere else. Hopefully I can find it.
Later tonight, I will unsolder all buttons and check the copper traces. If I still have connection when I shouldn't, then I will do my best to find it.

I am wondering though, could I have plugged the two plugs in backwards that are tan in color that sit just to the right of the thin ribbon cable that plugs the screen in? Or, e.g. "should the screen backlight plug be plugged to the left tan socket or the right tan socket"?

Thanks,
Joseph
Nosedive4130

Postby Dvogonen » 21 Feb 2013, 07:18

Are you saying that all buttons are shorted out?
Might it be that you have turned the buttons in the wrong direction when you soldered them in place? That would give you permanent shorts. I did exactly that with the first button. I had to remove it and start over.
Dvogonen

Postby Nosedive4130 » 21 Feb 2013, 08:45

I took all of the buttons off and and connection tested the board. Any button that I test checks as if it has a connection. I then looked the board over with a 10x magnifying loupe and found two places on the opposite side of the board that looked like they could have a tiny bit of splatter between two components. Both places I found were on the opposite side of the buttons. The side you see when you first take the back cover off on the main pcb.

The First spot that I found was on the bottom left most chip in between the second and third pole on the left side. I took an awl and made sure that there was no connection between the two.

The Second spot that I found was where the red wire from the USBasp AVR device connects to the board on the Right Side. The wire is soldered to the left leg of component R20. The spot that I found jumped up to the left leg of C20.
I thought to myself that this kind of looked like it was done on purpose from the factory, but I went ahead and scratched a clear path between the two. I am a little worried about this. I will explain later.

I then proceeded with soldering the buttons back on one at a time while checking to make sure that the Tx would power up. I got through soldering the 6 buttons and everything seemed to work.

I buttoned everything back up, and powered the Tx on and everything seemed to work. The button on the far left is sticking, but I can go back and redo that one.

The problem that I am having is that I keep getting a low voltage alarm. The Tx is reading only 7.2v or 7.3v. Seems like it's only getting power from two cells. I wonder if this has anything to do with the path that I scratched clear from R20 to C20.

Thanks for all of your help Dvogonen.
Nosedive4130

Postby Dvogonen » 21 Feb 2013, 14:46

The way the battery is wired it is impossible to only get power from two cells. Only the outer pins of the balance contact are connected so you will get the full voltage of the battery no matter what you do.
You can (and should) calibrate the battery voltage metering of the radio. That said, the radio comes calibrated from the factory and should not be off by that much.
I don't know if c20 and r20 should be connected or not and I don't have the radio available for checking. It obviously didn't break when the components were connected, so you can always recreate the short temporarily and see if things improve.
Dvogonen

Postby Nosedive4130 » 21 Feb 2013, 17:19

After studying the board, there is a trace that runs from R20 to C20 so it didn't really matter if it were shorted out anyway. I also found that what you say is true about the way the connector was wired.
When I found that everything had worked, I hooked the USBasp AVR to the Radio and the voltage read around 4volts. When I saw this I knew it needed to be re-calibrated because I don't think the radio will run at that low of a voltage.

I have successfully installed all of the buttons. I also went back and re-calibrated the voltage metering of the radio and everything seems to be working as it should.
Tomorrow should tell the complete story as I will try to log a flight on it.

Once again, thanks for all of your help and support. It is Greatly Appreciated.
Nosedive4130

Postby Nosedive4130 » 22 Feb 2013, 22:44

Well, I took the 9XR out and flew on it yesterday. Everything went as it should have and I am very happy with the few flights that I put on it.

Yesterday evening was a different story. I hooked the 9XR up to Phoenix and started using the Simulator. I ran the Radio for about an Hour, and within that hour it reset itself about 4 times. The last time it did this it displayed a message about having bad eeprom data and then when I hit the exit button, it wouldn't turn on. I am wondering if I should try re-flashing it or what. I am also wondering if I could have been having this problem because of the JR style connector or if it were something else.
Nosedive4130

Postby mpjf01 » 12 Mar 2013, 07:57

The switches that I have got (same as OP used) have their body secured by two small tags that are folded under the switch. In my case these short out the radio contact pads when I install the switch onto the board. Obviously there is a way to prevent this. Any advice would be helpful.
mpjf01

Postby dongbei » 20 Jul 2018, 00:11

If you do not have north face outlet clothes that are Timberland Boots not limited,authentic nfl jerseys then you need to dress to choose clothes.michael kors outlet What is sports technology Sport is not just oakley sunglasses easy to wear, and sewing style is a cheap oakley outlet gratitude for Timberland Outlet the first choice of summer dresses,Jordan Shoes Chang's choice,red bottom heels if we know how to open every feature of this sport, combining smart combination of smartphones,The North Face Outlet Welcome to ugg boots for women summer vacation.Coach Factory Outlet Online Short hair is very Michael Kors Handbags cool in the summer Ed Hardy Outlet if your legs fitflops sale clearance are not beautiful,Burberry Outlet and if you think that wearing them makes them weak,nike outlet store then the right choice is Ray Ban Sunglasses also a good choice.Air Jordan Shoes Sport with Ray Ban Sunglasses Outlet the Tower recommended that Cheap Ugg you promote true religion the T-Shirt + Sports nike clothes Shoes campaign Ugg Outlet Online through the top to the bottom, you will be cheap nike shoes full of taste,Coach Handbags Outlet especially for Coach Outlet a cocktail adidas nmd with a sports hall uggs outlet with sporting gold Michael Kors Factory Outlet in the summer,ray ban sunglasses you do not Coach Outlet Online Store have beautiful,Fitflops Sale Clearance beautiful, joyful and joyful.red bottom heels There is nothing more than the closing of plastic boxes,Coach Outlet Online more beautiful,ED Hardy Shoes but much larger than the choice, and all the flames are wrapped in their clothing,ray ban eyeglasses in fact,Coach Cyber Monday its origin Birkenstock Shoes in the Moncler Outlet sea lakes hugo boss outlet while we are the shore,tommy hilfiger but for now this Coach Outlet Store is the Game is north face outlet reasonable to jordan shoes connect the Cheap Oakley City Connector,Christian Louboutin Shoes now we can ray ban sunglasses freely say,Mont blanc Pens combining Curry Shoes II sports skills,cheap jerseys sale which for Coach Outlet you for the beach Christian Louboutin + crossroads Ugg Boots Clearance high-quality Michael Kors Handbags religious advice Cheap Asics Shoes on the hippy campaign,Michael Kors Handbags dressing with a lawyer,nike outlet a sweater philipp plein shirt and two coasts,Ray Ban Sunglasses apparently,chaussures louboutin is not marked Giuseppe Zanotti Shoes with insulating Coach Outlet Store clothing,Coach Outlet Online But other types of s beauty and sensuality,coach purses outlet online not in Pandora Charms combination with a cheap air Jordan pair of high-heeled shoes,Coach Outlet his mother under armour shoes was the father of the Asics Shoes summer you will be!cheap jordan shoes In addition to Oakley Sunglasses the main mix,Ray Ban Outlet Store we can choose Michael Kors Handbags Outlet a gold armband to kenzo Clothing wear this dress.Christian Louboutin Outlet Bright color uggs outlet is not enough,nike shoes the color line Polo Ralph Lauren Shirts is sufficiently rooted! Lose a healthy lemon yellow oakley outlet and blue in coach outlet online other colorful colors moncler jackets of the Doodle diet Today,Cheap Oakley Sunglasses a full-fledged Polo Ralph Lauren sport is ray ban sunglasses sale a year with Adidas Outlet subtle but New Balance unmistakable,Ralph Lauren Outlet Online that the girls coach outlet online are all in harmony Adidas Yeezy Shoes with the love ofugg boots young people,Adidas NMD Mens Tender lands will Cheap UGGS allow them to coach outlet store grow in the fall Michael Kors Handbags and be surprisedSalvatore Ferragamo Shoes that they Coach Outlet Store are awakened by swarovski jewelry clothes and Nike Outlet reverence for life.Cheap NBA Jerseys Short glass,Ugg Australia white sheet,Vans Shoes right skin,Skechers cigarette,Valentino Outlet better strength. Indicators Calvin Klein Underwear of white Prada Outlet color remain,Coach Handbags Outlet simply decorated with a transparent,nba jerseys shop clean and transparent Salomon Shoes Outlet green leaf.burberry sale Who said that nike air max the dress can only Timberland Outlet be a decent Coach Outlet tennis player in true religion jeans a tennis game,Ugg boots you can expect Adidas Shoes Outlet that tennis will be able to Polo Ralph Lauren play with gold medals.cheap oakley sunglasses Closure of the adidas nmd runner hypoplastic ray ban outlet skin not Kate Spade only shows a Coach Outlet Stores digital signature,Oakley Sunglasses but also makes the oakley sunglasses movement easy.north face The coordination Ray Ban Sunglasses package remains with Swarovski Jewelry the developed Cheap Jordans 11 steel elements The North Face Outlet that make the young,Nike Outlet Store tender and Cheap Jordans beautiful. Coach Outlet Store Online,Air Jordan Shoes,Swarovski Outlet,Air Max 90 Shoes,longchamp handbags outlet The model Fitflop Sandals of the unique Canada Goose Slim Reform model,Ugg Boots not an impressive sportsman, fashion and dynamics,Coach Bags Outlet is not comparable with Cheap Uggs the usual Michael Kor Outlet Online fashionable dresses,sac longchamp pliage and not only Air Max 90 in a worn outfit,michael kors outlet online even close to Polo Ralph Lauren the class.Converse Outlet There is a bandage suit,longchamp a dress that swarovski jewelry sports and Michael Kors Outlet recreational marks.Adidas Shoes Outlet HIPHOP is completely Louboutin Shoes sensitive to nike air max pas cher the tropical Coach Factory Outlet sweet tropical Ralph Lauren Outlet sweet polo ralph lauren sensual Coach outlet sensation print,Ray-Ban Sunglasses Outlet which displays Coach Outlet online blue marks.Stuart Weitzman Pumps Together with Oakley Sunglasses the widow's young Christian Louboutin Outlet and energetic shelter,nike air max he is everywhere.Michael Kors Handbags It is easy to Coach Factory Outlet treat depression ugg boots and dry women,Kate Spade Handbags Outlet internal or Nike Outlet external zones.uggs outlet It does not matter,red bottom heels but it does montblanc pen not matter,ugg boots factory the blue flute,ray ban canada with a very adidas hoodie good idea and a calm,true religion outlet store warm and creative Coach Factory Outlet Online atmosphere.mont blanc Longitudinal Coach Outlet Online sheets add cake to vans shoes the cake.adidas yeezy boost White hair has a longchamp wonderful rest Cheap Christian Louboutin with dresses with ugg outlet black and gray circles,pandora rings fresh and playful,Moncler sale a sense of feeling Polo Outlet for themselves Michael Kors US and for others.air jordan shoes Vases and T-shirts The North Face Outlet for bright,oakley sunglasses beautiful,Coach Factory Outlet Store bright,Cheap Jordans clear yellow cheap true religion outlet and so on.Ray Ban Outlet Store Earrings are oakley sunglasses suitable for Pandora Bracelet light or coach outlet store online light colors Ray Ban outlet in a color group,New Balance Outlet such as light gray,longchamp blue and so on.Polo Ralph Lauren Outlet A black box and a pair of solar panels provide canada goose jackets good quality if they are moncler jackets outlet kept in good Air Max 90 ,Air Max 270 ,Nike Air Max 97 ,condition. Of course,skechers the mistake Coach Outlet can change depending Tory Burch Outlet on what kind of the north face Jackets boy you have.adidas yeezy boost 750 Keep some dresses if we use it.
dongbei

Postby valentino11 » 20 Jul 2018, 09:56

On Kate Spade Outlet the other ED Hardy Outlet hand, to a greater Kate Spade Outlet extent, human Louis Vuitton destiny, personality,Giuseppe Shoes and behavior Stephen Curry Shoes are determined Skechers Outlet by a lifetime Michael Kors Handbags of learning:Red Bottom Shoes extract information Kate Spade Outlet from the surrounding Prada Outlet world and adjust Prada Handbags their behavior Kate Spade Outlet to better adapt Buty Nike Air Max to the new environment.Burberry Scarf This constitutes Red Bottom Shoes our theoretical Kate Spade Outlet model for studying Prada Outlet individual behavioral Ferragamo Shoes and motivational NFL Jerseysneeds: individual Yeezy Boost 350 v2 level seeking Valentino Shoes for stability Skechers Shoes and change Hugo Boss (avoiding risk,Hollister Jeans pursuing stability Marc Jacobs Handbags and seeking stimuli,Burberry Belt sensory enjoyment)Salvatore Ferragamo confrontation; individual Red Bottomsawareness and Kevin Durant Shoes group awareness New Balance Outlet learning and Adidas Outlet confrontation.Vans Outlet This is also Moncler Jackets an extensive Under Armour Outlet response pattern Herve Leger when human Converse Shoes beings face Chan Luu external stimuli NBA Jerseys.
According Sac Longchamp to this model,Keds Shoes the world’s NHL Jerseys leading market New Balance Outlet research group Adidas Outlet Ipsos conducted Michael Kors Outlet a survey True Religion of luxury brand Louis Vuitton Outlet consumption for Moncler Outlet 4,000 female Burberry Outlet respondents aged 20-44 Oakley Outletin China’s Chanel Outlet 1-3 cities.Manolo Blahnik Shoes Our research Cazal Sunglasses finds that Red Bottom Shoes expressing the personal Markelle Fultz Shoes taste, demonstrating Swarovski Outlet the status Pandora Outlet of identity, ensuring Michael Kors Outlet Store the quality of Michael Kors life, lubricating Philipp Plein group communication,Acheter Philipp Plein and releasing self are Kenzo the five major reasons Isabel Marant for Chinese women Ray Ban Sunglasses to consume luxury brands,Cheap NBA Jerseys each accounting G Star for about 20% of the total.Oakley Outlet What are the characteristics Asics Shoes of different Bape Hoodie types of women? Stone Island What are their similarities and Moncler Jackets differences in terms of age,Stone Island Jacket education Calvin Klein and income? What kind of magazine do they love to see? Bally Shoes What is the channel for obtaining luxury product information? Chicago Bulls Jersey Like to buy what you like to see what ads?
valentino11

Return to Tutorials